Journalist addresses freedom of Internet speech

The biggest problem for journalists is when they are no longer allowed to impart information to their audience, said a veteran journalist in a lecture at the Harvard Kennedy School.

Joel Simon, the executive director of the Committee to Protect Journalists, spoke to a small group of students and professors about the importance of journalistic freedom on Tuesday at “From the Frontlines to Online: A Year in Press Freedom.”

The CPJ is an organization that was founded to protect the rights of journalists to report news without fearing retaliation.

After joining CPJ, Simon also helped to found the Journalist Assistance program in order to aid journalists in distress as well as protect their freedom to report through the Internet.

Simon addressed social media in reporting and how it has revolutionized journalism.

“If you were following Ben Wedermen on Twitter, you knew pretty much what his editors knew because he was Tweeting it at the same time he was telling his editors,” Simon said on the coverage of the conflict in Egypt. “Twitter transformed the experience of journalists covering [the incidents in Egypt].”

Simon said that by following the Tweets of journalists, they also knew their whereabouts. The CPJ was able to find out about journalists who were detained and were able to act accordingly.

Alexis Gelber, a fellow at the Joan Shorenstein Center on Press, Politics and Public Policy, asked how the CPJ decides whom to help.

“One of the things that’s good about what we do is that we continue to be a case based organization,” Simon replied. “If you suddenly get arrested or detained then that impedes your job to do this and we take a look at it… [The] broad definition we apply [to journalists] is gathering and disseminating information based commentary.”

One of the goals of CPJ is to advocate for freedom of the press, especially in situations where the public is being denied information.

Simon said that this was especially born out of the current situations in the Middle East, where the government creates an “information void.” He, along with members of CPJ, believes that if the press is covering a specific story such as the Middle East protests, they have the right to report without repercussions.

New technology such as smart phones and Twitter now allow journalists to report news as it happens.

“There are all these journalists who have crossed the border from Egypt into Libya and they’re tweeting about what they’re seeing, but they’re also advertising their movements and that’s a very delicate situation that can change in a minute,” Simon said.

He went on to address the importance of data security when it comes to personal information. Lisa King, a journalist and student at the Harvard Kennedy School, commented on her personal experience with social networking.

“I woke up to a note this morning that JewWatchUSA is now following me on Twitter…it made me aware that my real name is on there… it made me nervous that we’re putting our stuff out there and it’s very personal.”

In regard to international reporters, Simon cautioned about over relying on BlackBerry use.

“It has your contacts, all your email, everyone you’ve been in touch with, and in two minutes, they know everything [the detainer] need[s] to know about you.”

Updated on Feb. 23, 2011 to reflect that Simon is the executive director of the CPJ.