Terriers nominated for Patty Kazmaier Award

Three Boston University women’s hockey players made the 26-player list of nominees for the 2011 Patty Kazmaier Award, given to the top player in women’s college hockey. The list was released on Feb. 21, and junior forward Jenn Wakefield, graduate student defenseman Catherine Ward and freshman forward Marie-Philip Poulin were nominated.

“It’s fantastic and continued recognition for those three people,” BU coach Brian Durocher said. “They’re decorated ice hockey players…people who have brought a lot to our program here in less than one year.

“Obviously, in Jenn’s case, she was part of the Kazmaier process a couple years ago and well-recognized, and she’s come back to the college hockey world and certainly reestablished herself, with 28 goals up to this point.”

Wakefield, who transferred to BU this year after playing two years at University of New Hampshire, ranks second in Hockey East with 49 points and sixth in the nation with a 0.93 points-per-game average.

Ward is tied for first in the nation among defensemen with 26 assists, and Poulin, despite having missed 10 games this year between participating in tournaments with Team Canada and suffering a broken hand on Feb. 5, still ranks second among all rookies with 22 goals.

“Catherine Ward and Marie-Philip Poulin, obviously being Olympians, you knew that they were high-quality players,” Durocher said. “I think that arguably we could even have one, two or three more people in that group, but hopefully those people’s day will come, and we’re proud that these three people were part of it.”