BU students prepare week of Islamic awareness

The Islamic Society of Boston University will be reaching out to this week in hopes of raising awareness of the Islamic community at the university with Islam Awareness Week.

President of ISBU Nida Shuttari said “Islamophobia” was chosen as this year’s theme because of the importance in drawing students’ attention to an issue that has become more and more prevalent in the last decade.

“We are hoping to tackle the issue of Islamophobia, which unfortunately is so prevalent today, and get rid of any misconceptions people have about Muslims and Islam,” Shuttari said.

Islam Awareness Week is aimed to open up the Islamic community at BU to students who may feel estranged from the religion, Shuttari said.

“It is to show students and faculty on campus that we want to open up our community to them,” Shuttari said.

“That we want there to be better understanding between us all.”

ISBU has organized several speakers and performers to contribute to the week, including a lecture on Islamophobia by BU professor of religion, Stephen Prothero on Monday.

Other events throughout the course of the week include a screening of the film “Bilal’s Stand,” the story of a Muslim high school senior, on Wednesday, and a performance by the Poetic Vision Tour on Friday.
Shuttari said each event of Islam Awareness Week will contribute to a greater understanding of Islam on the part of the BU community.

“Overall, it gives us a chance to better educate people on Islam and build new friendships,” Shuttari said.
ISBU member Rizwana Seeham said the group considers the week to be crucial to the BU community, as there are misconceptions concerning Islam in Western society.

“With Islam Awareness Week, ISBU is hoping lift the veil off of the current misconceptions in popular media and shed light on the truth behind Islam,” Seeham said. “Contrary to popular misconceptions, Islam is not a religion of violence and the teachings of Islam do not urge such actions either.”

Seeham said that a greater understanding of religious cultures is valuable, especially at a university where many students are exposed to a variety of religions for the first time.

“Islam Awareness Week allows Muslims and non-Muslims to not only communicate their opinions and concerns, but also learn something from one another,” Seeham said.

Universities prove to be the best locations to promote interest in greater understanding of religions, Seeham said.

“As an organization at an institution for higher education, both knowledge and communication are priceless.”

As part of Islam Awareness Week, ISBU is also promoting relief efforts for the recent earthquake, tsunami and nuclear crisis in Japan.

“We will be selling ribbons for a dollar at the GSU link and at our events all week and we will continue the donation efforts throughout the remainder of the semester,” Seeham said.

ISBU will also be raising donations for Islamic Relief throughout Islam Awareness Week, an organization dedicated to aiding Muslims and non-Muslims throughout the world when they face disasters.