Mass. residents among happiest in US, poll says

Massachusetts residents may be happier and healthier than those of many other states, according to a Gallup Poll survey released in early March.

The survey, which was conducted daily from January to December 2010, ranked states according to a well-being index.

Factors included in the well-being rankings included emotional and physical health, work environment, healthy behaviors, overall life evaluation and access to basic services such as medical care, clean water, and affordable fruits and vegetables.

Hawaii ranked first with a score of 71 followed by Wyoming and North Dakota. Massachusetts rounded out the top 10 with a score of 67.8.

Massachusetts’ high ranking, however, should not come as a surprise, said Dan Witters, a principal researcher in the Gallup poll, by email.

“Massachusetts was 18th in 2009 and ninth in 2008, so the state is no stranger to being in the top two quintiles nationally and has broken the top 10 twice in three years,” Witters said

Massachusetts was also ranked first for access to basic services. Hawaii ranked first for physical and emotional health and Vermont was ranked first for healthy habits.

“The big strength for Massachusetts is its Basic Access Index, which ranks number one in the nation in 2010 and has been in the top three all three years,” Witters said. “This is due in large part to the very high percentage of residents that have health insurance [95.2 percent], maintain a personal doctor [90.9 percent], visit the dentist at least once per year [74.1 percent] and have enough money for medicine and health care at all times [85.8 percent].”

Many southern states ranked at the lower end of the spectrum, with West Virginia, Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, Arkansas and Louisiana all ranking in the bottom 10.

For many of the low-ranking states, raising the well-being scores will prove difficult because of financial problems that have resulted in school closings, job losses and public service cuts.

Despite fiscal limitations, however, states can still raise their well-being scores. Fighting chronic health conditions such as diabetes and obesity, as well as providing better medical access overall, will most effectively increase states’ well-being scores, the survey said.

Boston University students said they were not surprised that Massachusetts performed so well in the survey.

“Compared to other states I guess the T makes the cut for Massachusetts in terms of access to basic services and work,” said Ayia Mohammed, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences. “I think a major thing that should have been included, however, is the weather. You never really know what Massachusetts is hiding for you, and I think it contributes greatly to physical and emotional health.”

Emily Espinosa, another CAS freshman, agreed.

“The fact that Massachusetts is in the top 10 doesn’t surprise me because I always see people exercising and they seem healthier,” Espinosa said, “But I think the average ages of the participants should have been included in the survey. There are a lot of college students and younger people in Massachusetts that probably have healthier habits than older people.”

“The results don’t surprise me because a key aspect is security on basic needs like strong work environment, high education index and health care. A key aspect is security on basic needs like strong work environment, high education index, as well as health care,” said CAS freshman Patrick Hermann.