STAFF EDIT: Tackling sports injuries head-on

In an average NFL game, teams run between 60 and 70 plays. That means players have ample opportunity for repetitive injury, which has been a source of contention for neurologists, and even players themselves. The NHL, second in concussion injuries, has had similar head-injury related issues and is now attempting to secure a thorough investigation into past “inconsistent” protocol revisions. Meanwhile, a bill was introduced in Congress on Wednesday that would give helmet companies nine months to improve their quality of their product – or face a penalty.

Increasingly, it appears that players belonging to any national sports league are treated only slightly better than cattle. While it’s good that researchers have shed light on these neurological problems, many of which have resulted in depleted brain function, depression and death, team owners have neglected the problem in favor of the ultimate incentive: money. During the most recent negotiations between the NFL Players Association and the owners, one of the most contentious issues seems to be the owners insistence on playing an 18-game schedule. With the increasing research on brain injuries and concussions, the players already facing enough danger in the regular 16-game season and aren’t being compensated for taking that chance.

Recently, hockey players such as Bob Probert of the Detroit Redwings and Chicago Blackhawks and, more famously, Dave Duerson of the Chicago Bears, have donated their brains to science to increase awareness of the phenomenon. Duerson made the decision to do so in a text message before committing suicide, which medical examiners believe was a side effect of the continuous impacts to the head he recieved over the cours of his long career. If players are actively attempting to effect change for the safety of thousands of athletes, owners should be stepping up to show respect for the people who put money in their pockets.

Right now, Congress is showing an active interest in fostering a change in contact sports and preventing greedy executives from discounting health as the most important factor of any game. Together with neuroscientists, these representatives should be able to get through to league owners – by way of logic or by force. At this point, either would be appropriate.