STAFF EDIT: Sexters need a time out

As technology continues to dominate the marketplace, especially in the realm of cell phones, teenagers are becoming more obsessed with text messaging. Because texting is a fast and easy way to communicate, it has become the subject of many studies that have shown young people are losing sleep and brain power to the trend.

With the advent of picture messaging, however, even more detrimental effects are being shown – but now, in the realm of the law.

“Sexting,” a nickname given to the practice of exchanging sex-tinged texts and nude photographs or videos via cell phone, has become immensely popular. But what can seem harmless can quickly turn into an issue of child pornography.

An article in Saturday’s edition of The New York Times chronicled the case of two middle school students who were charged with a Class C felony after helping to circulate an image of a girl who had sent her then-boyfriend a naked picture of herself. Regardless of age, there is no leeway, so the accused students were placed in juvenile detention for one night.

While the behavior of these two students is in no way acceptable, sexting has already seeped its way into youth culture. As the media becomes increasingly sexualized, the age of innocence decreases.

With the vast array of advertisements, television shows and movies that depict reckless sexual behavior as cool, teenagers are desensitized to the point that sending nude photos back and forth seems normal. The vast majority is not aware that doing so is punishable by law if pictures become public.

With so many new laws being enacted regarding the sphere of technology, students aren’t well equipped to comprehend them, especially because many parents aren’t. The problem lies in the individual exploitation of a new medium but it also lies in the fact that sex, in all its forms, continues to be a touchy subject matter.

A widespread issue such as this should be addressed from an educational and familial standpoint and will only amass more power in the absence of information.