STAFF EDIT: Wireless = brainless?

Only 29 percent of college campuses in the United States had blanket wireless coverage in 2006. In comparison to today, that number seems quaint. But now that a majority of universities offer wireless access everywhere from classrooms to dormitories, some professors and administrators are calling for reversion to the traditional learning experience – one that they hope would inspire interaction between classmates and focused attention rather than multitasking.

It’s a debate that has gone on since laptops became prevalent in classrooms less than a decade ago. Should professors simply ban laptops, and thereby Internet access, from lecture halls or hold students responsible for what they do in class? One Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor told The Boston Globe that he “fantasize[s] about having a Wi-Fi jammer in my lecture halls to block access to distractions.” While his frustration is warranted, installing a Wi-Fi “jammer” seems more like a tactic reserved for high school administrators who can’t otherwise control their students’ behavior.

Attempts to foster “Socratic discussions” would be beneficial for professors and students but ultimately, the decision of whether or not to mentally invest with one’s education lies with the student. If Boston University were to take a leaf out of MIT’s book and consider eliminating wireless access in certain areas on campus, students might pay more attention – at the expense of their autonomy as paying young adults. Professors should focus on engaging students who want to get their money’s worth and allow the rest to coast if they so desire. College is about self-motivation and self-control, not imposed discipline.

With that said, students sometimes believe they can multitask without consequence and aren’t aware of their Achilles heel. According to The New York Times, researchers have discovered that young people become accustomed to switching tasks quickly and lose the ability to sustain attention. For the generation of college students who grew up with Gameboys and helped mold Facebook into a landmark, this erratic behavior may seem normal and even necessary under mounting academic pressure.

As for now, struggle will continue between professors and students who simultaneously benefit from and are harmed by technology in the classroom. In order for professors to win back undivided attention from their classes, students themselves have to actively ignore distractions and revert to practical learning methods. While that opportunity may not be particularly enticing, it could inspire better teacher-student relationships and, if anything, silence the unrelenting criticisms of today’s collegians.