MBTA to close two stations during renovations

On Saturday, the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority will close the Science Park/West End and Lechmere Green Line stations for six months while the station is brought into compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, according to the MBTA website. A shuttle bus will replace subway transportation between Lechmere and North Station.
The stations will be closed as two new elevators are installed as part of the MBTA’s Science Park/West End Improvement Project, said MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo in an email. The MBTA plans to install automated fare collection lobbies, replace and widen platform slabs, replace the platform canopy roof and reconstruct stairs.
The MBTA also plans to upgrade signage, electrical communications, fire protection and alarm systems and install a generator for emergency power, Pesaturo said.
Closing the station during construction will allow work to be completed six months earlier than anticipated and will accelerate the delivery of fully accessible platforms.
Public safety will be enhanced as pedestrians will not have to walk on a temporary pedestrian track crossing and uncovered platforms.
In addition, closing the station will mitigate noise at night by allowing demolition to occur during the day. Costs will be reduced by removing support for construction on an active station, such as flagging and power shutdowns.
MBTA officials expect to fund the $10.4 million project with 80 percent federal funds, Pesaturo said. MBTA chose construction company Barletta Heavy Division, Inc. for the project because it had the lowest expected costs – 26 percent lower than MBTA engineers’ projections – for the project among considered companies.
The MBTA will install signs to direct passengers to shuttle locations, according to the MBTA website. The shuttle will not stop at the Museum of Science during the morning and afternoon peak traffic hours, and travel from North Station to Lechmere will take about 10 to 20 minutes each way.