Patrick encourages students to take in state internships

The Bay State has launched an internship website aimed at encouraging Massachusetts college students to stay in the state to work after graduation, according to a press release issued by Gov. Deval Patrick on Thursday.

The site, launched by The Commonwealth Marketing Office in collaboration with “Massachusetts: It’s All Here,” offers students resources and a search engine to find internships in the Massachusetts area.

“Massachusetts is a place of unparalleled opportunity,” said Patrick in a press release. “And we are committed to connecting our young talent with the kinds of opportunities that will encourage them to stay.”

The website offers companies the opportunity to post and promote their internships on the website for free, allows students to search and find Massachusetts-based internships and network with companies. They also plan to work with college campuses to help utilize the resources with students.

“As we continue to encourage our college students to stay here, this new website will serve as a critical resource and tool to help students access various internship opportunities across the state,” said Lt. Gov. Timothy Murray in a press release. “We want to ensure these types of resources are readily available to not only support the full learning experience for all students but also connect them to future workforce skills and career opportunities here in Massachusetts.”

Experience.com, a Massachusetts-based web company, will be running the Mass Stay Here Internship website.

“Retaining highly-skilled talent through internships requires collaboration between the Massachusetts education system, government, and businesses,” said Jenny Floren, founder and CEO of Experience.com, in a press release. “We are thrilled to be the platform that enables these organizations to work together to provide fabulous opportunities for Massachusetts students.”

Currently eleven companies have joined the website so far, including iRobot, The Museum of Science, 451 Marketing, Communispace, Vistaprint and the mobile game, SCVNGR.

“SCVNGR is powered by a team of incredible rockstars,” said Michael Hagan, COO of SCVNGR in a press release. “We’re based in Boston to draw from the talent rich environment of young people including students who are ready to make an immediate impact toward building an amazing company.”

The Mass Technology Leadership Council is also creating an internship site that will serve as a platform, meaning that internships they post will appear on the Mass Stay Here Internship website as well.

“We’re delighted to work with the Governor on the important task of retaining more students here in Massachusetts upon graduation,” said Tom Hopcroft, President and CEO of the Massachusetts Technology Leadership Council, in a press release.

“In addition to directly linking our internship sites and sharing postings across our respective databases, MassTLC has designed a special mentoring program to help the best and brightest students get tied into working in the state’s the coolest technology sectors — from the hottest digital games to the newest mobile apps to the most amazing robots.”