Softball, Sports

Seniors honored, but freshmen propel Terriers into first place

This past weekend, the Boston University softball team celebrated its seniors with a few wins and a day devoted to the strong careers the four graduating players have had on the BU Softball Field. The seniors – pitcher Kelley Engman, designated hitter Caitlin Rentler, center fielder April Setterlund and right fielder Christina Valdes – have all been a part of the Terriers’ strong 2011 season.

“They’ve all contributed in their own ways and sometimes it’s not always on the text and a piece of paper or a stat sheet, sometimes it is,” said BU coach Shawn Rychcik. “At moments, every one of them has been a huge part of this program, and responsible for a lot of good things, a lot of wins. It’s a tough day for me to see but I’m proud of them. They’ve represented their families, themselves, their university and this program very well.”

The player who has undoubtedly made the biggest impact is Setterlund, who has had an unprecedented career with BU. Setterlund, who is hitting .414 with eight home runs and 35 RBIs this season, has been a vital part of the team’s offense during all four of her years with the Terriers. In every season of her career, she has led the team in hitting with at least a .354 average. On Saturday, Setterlund broke BU’s all-time hits record as she went 5-for-6 on the day with a double and an RBI.

Although the weekend was devoted to the celebration of these four careers, the youth of the team showed off what the future of BU softball looks like. Throughout the course of the season, BU’s lineup has consistently had between five and six freshman starters. Four of these starters have a batting average over .300 and an on-base percentage over .400.

“They’re not freshmen anymore,” Rychcik said. “They’re every bit a part of the team… you put six of them in the lineup, you’re bound to get some contribution out of them. They’re playing with confidence now.”

This weekend, the group of six had 16 of the 25 hits that the Terriers produced as well as some sharp defensive plays and a complete game with six strikeouts on the mound. Furthermore, all three of the winning hits against the University at Albany over the weekend were home runs off the bats of freshmen.

The offensive demonstration by the Terriers’ freshmen began in the first inning of the first game on Saturday when redshirt freshman Chelsea Kehr stepped up to the plate with runners on first and second and hit a home run off of the left field foul pole for her eighth home run of the season.

“[Albany was] pretty fired up over on their side and I think it knocked down a little of their momentum,” Rychcik said of the home run.

The Terriers expanded their lead on the first of two grand slams from freshman catcher Amy Ekart. Ekart’s first grand slam of the day came in the fifth inning with two outs and ended up landing behind the trees in left field. Her second home run in the sixth inning of the second game gave BU some wiggle room and would end up being the runs by which the Terriers won the game.

“Great day for her,” Rychcik said of Ekart. “Good at-bats in big situations for us and obviously those runs were needed. She’s produced in the past and I think it’s just continuing to see pitching and getting confidence and she’s swinging a good bat right now.”

On Sunday, the game-winner came off the bat of freshman third baseman Megan Volpano during the first inning of the game. The two-run home run was a line drive that fell in front of the scoreboard in left center field.

Overall, the freshmen had 14 RBIs on the weekend.

“They’re having real good quality at-bats,” Rychcik said. “It’s nice to come out and see them in this big atmosphere here today on senior day, a lot of emotions, a lot of people out here.

“They were playing. They aren’t caught up in it. They’re ready for whatever’s ahead of them in their careers.”