Students flock to BU Beach for free giveaways, food

The Student Union and CollegeFest organized a “BU Beach Takeover” on Saturday at the BU Beach, Marsh Plaza and BU Central. More than 400 students came out to take advantage of free giveaways from business including Bing, RockMelt, CampusFood.com and Vita Coco Coconut Water.

Members of student groups said the takeover was a great way to promote and publicize their activities.

“CollegeFest events typically have a great turnout and are great for promotion,” said Lauren Mulherrin, a junior in the School of Hospitality Administration and a member of BU Fusion, a hip-hop dance group.

Representatives of the BU Buzz, a student lifestyle magazine, agreed.

“We’re here to have more promotion of the BU Buzz and make a large presence on campus. We’re selling issues,” said Devin McGuire, a freshman in the College of Communication.

The Student Union hosted an open mural, inviting students to paint.

“We want to petition the university to give a free space to students on campus for ideas and free expression and build community,” said Union advocacy chair Amy Mahler, a COM junior. “Let them create art on campus and promote student work. We want to have students presence permanently etched on campus.”

Hug Don’t Hate, a group that aims to abolish discrimination and disrespect, held an event called “12 hours of Kindness.”

“Compassion is easy and this is a small way of showing it,” said College of Arts and Sciences and COM junior Elena Acuna, Hug Don’t Hate’s vice president. “We can always use more kindness.”

Many students said free items attracted them to the takeover.

CampusFood.com was handing out free pizza and key chains.

“We had a very good turnout, like hundreds of people standing in line,” said Ben Feder, a School of Management sophomore and a marketing intern for CampusFood.com. “We had about hundred people sign up. Sixty boxes of pizza are gone, and we have thirty more coming up.”

Many students said they saw the takeover while walking through campus.

“I walked by and got interested in what was going on. I’ve attended CollegeFest events in the past and think it’s great they’re here,” said CAS freshman Daniela DeConti.

“I just saw it from across the street, and saw it on Facebook and decided to drop by,” said CAS junior Jeremy Nguyen.

Students said they enjoyed the takeover and their new free items.

“I just got here and I already got a free water bottle from RockMelt,” said CAS junior Jasmine Smith.

“I’m very excited in a long time on campus. It’s the best day,” said CAS freshman Liz Betancourt.