Boston mobster captured by FBI

Whitey's Santa Monica, Calif. hideaway PHOTO BY SABA HAMEDY
After a 16-year search, FBI agents arrested South Boston gang leader James “Whitey” Bulger at his hideout in Santa Monica, Calif., on Wednesday evening.

According to the FBI’s most wanted site, Bulger was wanted for 19 counts of murder, as well as narcotics distribution, extortion and money laundering. In January of 1995, Bulger and his girlfriend Catherine Greig fled from a federal racketeering indictment.

Sightings of Bulger have been reported in Ireland, England, Brazil, Italy, Australia, China, South Africa and Canada.

Authorities received a tip about Whitey and Greig’s Santa Monica location on Tuesday evening and began surveillance on Wednesday morning.

They used a “ruse” to capture Bulger and then arrested him, according to the Los Angeles Times. They arrested Greig inside the apartment.

According to The Boston Globe, neighbors said they had no idea about the couple’s true identities.

Bulger was the head of the Winter Hill Gang, a South Boston mob known for drug trafficking, violence, gambling and loan-sharking.

He held the number one spot on the FBI’s 10 Most Wanted List. There was a $2 million reward for his capture.

Bulger and Greig will be summoned to federal court in Los Angeles on Thursday, according to The Times.