Freshmen should contact parents less, study says

As the saying goes, communication is key – unless you’re a freshmen transitioning into college life.   According to a recent study featured in The Huffington Post, limiting communication with parents may be more beneficial for new students.

Researchers at Middlebury College noted the ease of frequent communication provided by technology from cell phones to email to Skype, according to the article.

Today’s college students are communicating with their parents far more often than their predecessors. The study suggested students who communicate more with their parents are less independent than those students who limit communication.

The study proposed that while some students initially planned to communicate once a week with their parents, those same students contacted their parents 13.4 times a week on average. Parents call their students to remind them about exams, ask for copies of their syllabi and edit their papers. Though parents may have good intentions, researchers claim this behavior limits students’ psychological and academic growth.

Many freshmen said they have discussed the issue with their families.  Though parents may want to communicate frequently, several freshmen said they plan on limiting communication as they make the transition to college while taking advantage of the different ways to stay in touch.

Maria Vasquez, a School of Management freshman, said she planned on calling home once a week.

“We decided that I wasn’t going to call them every day because that’s just a little bit too much,” Vasquez said.

College of Arts and Sciences freshman Preeya Behal agreed with Vasquez.

“I plan on staying in touch with my parents every few days,” Behal said. “It’s a bit excessive to be talking every day, but it’ll be nice to hear how they’re doing and update them on what I’ve been up to.”

Others, such as College of Communication freshman Mariana Angulo-Pizarro, said they planned on calling home every two to three weeks,

“I’ll probably shoot them random texts every week or two and Skype maybe twice between now and Christmas,” she said. “My mom will definitely want to communicate more than that though.”

Cutting off all communication is unnecessary, the study said. The study recommends that students and parents try to find a healthy, steady balance that works for them. Tips for accomplishing this balance include allowing students to initiate parental contact, using college resources and encouraging the development of independence and problem solving skills.

Vidhya Mathiyazhagan, a senior in CAS, kept in touch with her parents every once in a while to update one another. Though she went home more than expected, she said she felt keeping occasional contact with her parents helped her become more independent.

“It was good to be independent, but have them there if I need them,” she said.

Students that achieved this balance, the article noted, are happiest not only with their college experience, but with their parental relationship as well.