Bostonians practice art therapy to commemorate victims of Sept. 11

Bostonians gathered at Boston City Hall Plaza on Sunday to put a positive message on canvas and create a mural in honor of the victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Local relatives of Sept. 11 victims painted the mural on a 20-by-30-foot canvas with the help of Boston street artist Sidewalk Sam, who dedicates his work to social issues.

The completed mural, which was funded by Boston Cares, the Massachusetts Military Heroes Fund, 911Day.org and ArtStreet, will hang at the main entrance of Boston City Hall for about one week.

Patrice Keegan, executive director of Boston Cares, said the mural will help families deal with the emotional burdens they have been carrying for the past 10 years.

While Boston Cares was putting together remembrance events for the anniversary of Sept. 11, Keegan said that members decided to call Sidewalk Sam to help the community create something positive and constructive.

“For the families, it’s a respite with everything going on. It’s very emotional,” Keegan said. “They’re getting bombarded by the press and the media around this time.”

Keegan said that the visual imagery of the mural makes a strong emotional statement for those honoring Sept. 11 victims.

“This is going to be a very powerful, positive message that’s going to be displayed for all of Boston,” she said.

The canvas painting will feature the Massachusetts 9/11 Fund logo, representing themes of unity, patriotism and peace. The rest of the mural will be composed of stars, stripes and other patriotic symbols painted with red, white and blue paint.

“We decided that the logo of the Massachusetts 9/11 Fund is a powerful symbol— it’s an American flag with doves flying off of it,” Keegan said, reiterating how art is a great way to bring people together.

“It’s so exceptionally easy to make a powerful impact,” Keegan said. “Thousands of people will be able to experience it and reflect.”

Community members and families affected by Sept. 11 came to watch the painting of the mural and show support.

“I think it’s outstanding. It gives you a different perspective on the situation,” said Dave Paton, who came to support Sept. 11 victims. “I think that art therapy is extremely healing, and it’s a good way of releasing emotions.”

Other people said it is a positive thing for families to congregate at the tenth-year anniversary of the attacks.

“I think it’s a wonderful way to deal with these situations and have the community be supportive,” said Jackie Perrin, who came to watch the mural being painted. “It’s a good way for families to all be together at a time that’s very difficult.”