BU Soccer Club gives by losing with ‘Lose the Shoes’

On Saturday night, Nickerson Field was buzzing with excitement as the Boston University Soccer Club hosted its fourth annual three-versus-three, Lose the Shoes INSPI(RED) Soccer Tournament.

Despite the chilly fall temperatures, this group of soccer players and enthusiasts alike literally left their footwear behind to benefit the charitable foundation Grassroots Soccer. This international, nonprofit organization prevents the spread of AIDS and other similar diseases in African youth through education and the game of soccer, arguably the most popular sport across the globe. 

Seventeen teams of at least three players each participated in a total of 30 games throughout the night, displaying their athletic talent as well as their creativity. Their self-created team names ranged from Esplanade Born and Raised to Team Beast, from FC Narnia to Team Awesome. 

Members of Brick Squad, one of the teams participating, said it was their first time playing in the tournament.

While being newcomers to the competition, all it took for Victor Olakojo, Kai Burgin and Elias Loulagos to participate was their shared “love for soccer, a Facebook invite, and  [the fact that] it’s for a good cause.”

After two exciting rounds of play, it all came down to team Rosa Melano competing against team Papis, battling for the title of champion, with the Papis ultimately beating their opponents by a final score of 10-4.

Alexandros Papadopoulos, of the winning team, declared that he would definitely consider playing in the tournament in the future.

“I enjoyed the level, it was not too competitive,” he said. “It was for fun, [which is] what matters.”

As an incentive to play, Major League Soccer’s New England Revolution donated five tickets to the winning team for a game of their choice.

However, while a great prize was at stake, most participants acknowledged that it was the great cause and love of the game that made them play.

Lifelong soccer player and BU senior Jessica Beavis said she is always on the lookout for “any excuse to play soccer.” As for this tournament in particular, she said, “I’ve done this before. It’s for a good cause.”

Team Italia Albania, consisting of graduate students and first-time participants Tony Juncaj, Sean Sullivan and Mike Amato, had a similar mindset.

“We watch a lot of soccer, play a lot of FIFA,” they said.

Despite losing their first game, the team did not lose hope. Juncaj even admitted that they “wanted to be the underdogs.”
Before the event, the club had originally set a goal of having 16 teams register to compete. Each player that registered was required to make a minimum donation of $10, or at least $30 per team.

“It makes a good tournament,” said BU Soccer Club officer Mike Petkov. “With that many teams, we would raise about $500. Everything we make we donate.”

Not only did the club reach this impressive goal, but it managed to bring in over $700 for the Grassroots Soccer foundation while providing an enjoyable night for those who participated.

“It was really fun,” said Papadopoulos of his experience competing in the tournament. When asked about participating in the future, he immediately admitted, “I would do it again.”

According to their website, the BU Soccer Club has various activities throughout the year. Some of these activities include various pick-up soccer games at the Fitness and Recreation Center, game viewing parties and trips to see select New England Revolution soccer games.