Not-so-Great Danes

Despite an afternoon of humid temperatures at Varsity Field in Albany, N.Y., the Boston University’s women’s soccer team defeated the University at Albany with a final score of 2-0 to open the America East Conference portion of its schedule.

GRACE DONNELLY/DFP FILE PHOTO Freshman forward Taylor Krebs tallied her fourth goal of the season in BU’s 2-0 win.

In their first away game in two weeks, the Terriers (8-2-1, 1-0 AE) proved that they can succeed not only on their home turf, but are more than able to play just as well on the road.

Sophomore midfielder Kylie Strom was the first to score against the Great Danes (2-7, 0-1 AE), and did so just minutes into the first half. A native of Endicott, N.Y. herself, Strom leads the team in scoring with five goals and one assist thus far.

“She’s taken a step to becoming more of an impact,” said BU coach Nancy Feldman. “While [senior midfielder Jessica] Luscinski was out [with an injury earlier in the season] she has proven very good at it.”

Freshman forward Taylor Krebs scored her fourth goal of the season and brought the Terriers their second goal of the game, thanks in large part to the assist of senior midfielder Katherine Donnelly.

“She’s always moving,” Feldman said of Krebs. “[It is as if] she just has got a motor behind her.”

Other members also deserve recognition for a game well played in the Terriers’ eighth win of the season. A pair of midfielders, freshman Jamie Turchi and senior Brittany Heist, were both recognized by Feldman for playing well in Sunday’s shutout.

Additionally, Luscinski and sophomore forward Madison Clemens both had shots on goal in the second half of the game, although they were unable to lengthen BU’s lead any more over Albany.

“I think we played better in the second half,” Feldman said.

With a two-goal lead, Feldman said “it changes the whole complexion and we started to feel it. We continue to put teams away with goal production.”

Albany forward Aubrey VanGorder currently leads her team with four goals on the season and zero assists, but was kept at bay by a strong Terrier defense, including sophomore goalkeeper Kelly King. Playing the full 90 minutes, she had a total of five saves. As 2010 America East Rookie of the Year, King has started five games so far this season, sharing keeper duties with senior Alice Binns.

After their convincing performance on the road, the Terriers will bring the game back to Boston with a game against the University of Vermont on Thursday.

“We have to play well away, but we feel comfortable [at Nickerson] and want to protect home turf,” Feldman said.

Thursday’s game will also serve as a recognition of faculty members and their support for the team over this and past seasons by the nine seniors on the team.

“It’s always one of my favorite nights of the season,” Feldman said. “We can properly show our appreciation.”

The game will take place at Nickerson Field at 7 p.m., preceded by the faculty and staff night opening ceremony.