Off the Record Week 4: Alex’s Picks

Off The Record is a weekly MUSE installment exploring the favorite music of the Daily Free Press editorial staff. Each week a different editor will pick their five favorite songs. Week four features our Campus Editor, Alex “Big A” Nawar. Enjoy. 

FreeP Campus Editor Alex Nawar

“Pretty Girl from Annapolis” – The Avett Brothers

Last week someone asked me to pick my favorite song by The Avett Brothers. It was pretty stressful, but I finally landed on this bittersweet song, off of my favorite TAB album, Carolina Jubilee. While anything with a little southern twang will always have a soft spot in my heart, Pretty Girl from Annapolis will always steal the show.

“Id Engager” – Of Montreal

This song is ridiculous in every way. I’m a sucker for the Freudian subplot, and seeing this song performed live (four times) will never get boring. Kevin Barnes is never hesitant to change things up for each album, and I can’t wait to see what comes next.

“Carries On” – Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

“Carries On” only has about 10 different words, but it’s enough to lift my mood any day. I love every song on the Up From Below album, as well as Alexander Ebert’s self-named solo album, but one I hear this hippie’s song I can’t shake it for weeks.

“B.O.B.” – Outkast

I’m not one to analyze my music, but anyone can tell that this 11-year-old feature is replete with significance. Pitchfork Media said Bombs over Baghdad “is not just the song of the decade– it is the decade.” In addition to defining of our generation, this song is just really a whole lot of fun.

“I Be Strokin’” – Clarence Carter

Some songs just really speak to my heart and I can’t quite put my finger on why. This is one of them. Everyone should listen to this song.