Campus, News, Politics

Student groups look forward to Union assistance

Student Union officials say this semester, they are planning to meet with student group leaders to find ways to help their groups run more effectively, aiming to focus on Greek Life, theater groups and sports clubs.

“We plan on meeting one-on-one with student leaders and attending student meetings to hear from these leaders and their groups,” said Union Secretary and College of Communication sophomore Sophie Miller in an interview.

School of Management senior Katie Kocourek, president of Boston University On Broadway, said that Union could work on helping to promote the organization’s shows.

“It is our goal as a group to show what teamwork and passion can produce and we would love for this to be emphasized to the greater BU community,” Kocourek said.

Kocourek said Union could work with theater groups to help them gain access to performance spaces.

“As all student groups are made up of current BU students who are paying student fees and active in the BU community, it would be amazing for our groups to have greater access to performance spaces such as Tsai Performance Center, Jacob Sleeper Auditorium and other auditoriums around campus,” she said.

Alpha Kappa Delta Phi, an Asian-interest sorority, also needs help in obtaining resources, said president Judy Kuang, a CAS senior.

“What we want SU to focus on is maybe more allocations for student groups so that they can apply for funding for activities on a rolling basis, more opportunities for student groups to work at Agganis…and quicker confirmed reservations for events,” Kuang said.

CAS junior Jacob Magid, president of Sigma Alpha Mu, said that several groups find it difficult to collaborate events, which could help drive up the turnout.

“Getting turnout at events is always a challenge and working with other groups is a great way to solve it,” Magid said. “Unfortunately, finding the groups can be very difficult. Hopefully the Student Union can improve that.”

Other student leaders, such as CAS senior Greg Weitzner, president of Pi Kappa Alpha, mentioned a disconnect among student groups as an issue, citing a “lack of unity and communication among student groups” as a major problem on campus.

“We look to educate our members, raise money for philanthropy and serve our community,” Weitzner said. “These goals are extremely similar to other non-Greek groups on campus. Student Union can be the intermediary between groups with similar interests and goals to help bridge this divide.”

Weitzner said that Greek Life’s priority is improving its reputation on campus and that it could use support and “recognitions for our gains” from Union.

For the BU Snowboarding Team, exposure is the crucial component to becoming a successful group, said president Dylan Sweeney, an SMG senior.

“Since, Splash worked so well in the fall, the student union should work on creating an event similar to Splash around the second semester for teams like ours,” he said.

“We want them to know that we can help with anything they need for their organizations,” Miller said. “We just want to make ourselves known by the students.”