Campus, City, News, Politics

City council encourages BU students to be politically active

The Boston University College Democrats hosted the College Democrats of Massachusetts’s annual Eastern Regional Kick-Off on Saturday with city councilors and political candidates.

Students from eight colleges around the area, including Boston College, Emerson College and Tufts University, came to the Student Activities Office to meet other college democrats and local politicians.

Co-Eastern regional director and BUCD treasurer Chris Towner, a College of Arts and Sciences sophomore, said that the CDM was excited to have city officials visit the Kick-Off.

“It is great that so many students are here since they don’t know the officials or are from out of state,” said CDM president Kate Moore, a senior at Smith College. “It’s really exciting to have councilors here since many of them are young and we get to see how they jumped into politics at a young age.”

Councilor Matt O’Malley, of Roxbury, who said he is a George Washington University Democrats alumnus, spoke about his experience as a young politician repeatedly trying to run for local office because it is “the closest venue to everyday life.”

As the youngest member of the city council, O’Malley was elected in 2010 after running and managing campaigns for other politicians.

“Even if you have an inkling, run for office at some point even if you lose because those experiences and opportunities you get are worth it,” he said.

O’Malley said he now focuses on “bigger picture issues” such as education, public safety and the environment.

Councilor At-Large Ayanna Pressley, a College of General Studies alumna, said that she has been called controversial, but she believes that this brings change. She said her goal is to eradicate poverty and end violence, and she will not narrow her focus despite what others think.

“We won’t have peace in our streets until we have peace in our homes,” she said.

City Council candidate Suzanne Lee, a former Boston Public Schools principal and teacher, spoke about her campaign and election experience after winning the District 2 primary last week against incumbent Councilor Bill Linehan. District 2 represents parts of South Boston.

Her message to the students was to focus on education, immigration law reform and civil rights.

“It takes hard work to get people engaged because everyone wants to be involved to make a difference,” she said.

Mass. Senate candidate Alan Khazei asked the students about issues with jobs and unemployment, since he said his main focus is putting unemployed citizens back to work.

“You are not the future leaders of tomorrow,” he said. “I don’t believe that because you are the future leaders of today.”

The BUCD, a group of about 30 members, previously had Khazei attend one of their meetings, said President Hannah Brown, a College of Communication junior.

“We have been focusing on building the group’s membership, since it fluctuates with elections,” she said. “We are not just a group that bashes on Republicans and we focus on the values that we stand for as Democrats.”