BU students, business owners excited for return of ‘Restaurant Row’

After two years since a devastating fire caused Fenway's "Restaurant Row" on Peterborough Street to be shut down, plans have been made to reopen the restaurants this spring. AMANDA SWINHART/DFP Staff

The return of Fenway’s “Restaurant Row” on Peterborough Street will reunite students, families and diehard Red Sox fans with neighborhood-friendly dining.

In the upcoming months, El Pelon Taqueria, Rod Dee Thai Cuisine, Thornton’s Fenway Grille and Swish Shabu are among the restaurants that will reopen for the first time since the popular venues were destroyed in a fire in January 2009.

El Pelon Taqueria will open soon, but the exact date is unknown because it depends on the wait for the city to sign off on the building, said owner Jim Hoben in an email.

“I think the other restaurants on our block will open over the next few months,” Hoben said. “Many had been our neighbors for the past eleven years and we know that they are close to opening.”

Hoben said that he is very excited to move back into the Fenway neighborhood.

“Many longtime employees still live in the neighborhood and take the train to Brighton every day— along with some customers too,” he said.

El Pelon Taqueria buys from other small companies who care for their community and their employees, Hoben said. He said that this makes for a better end product, even if it costs a little more.

“We are also excited that our reopening will benefit not just us and our employees but also other local small businesses too,” Hoben said. “We take a lot of pride in what we do and make everything from scratch everyday right down to our hot sauces.”

He said that the menu at El Pelon is very affordable to both students and working people.
“In the past we have had many people from the BU community come by our Fenway restaurant (Brighton too) and quite a few regulars too,” he said.

Thornton’s Fenway Grille should reopen by Nov. 1, said owner Marty Thornton.

“I am most excited to see the regular customers and new customers,” Thornton said. “It is a fun place to work because it is a meeting place for the area. I love this neighborhood and I can’t wait to be back and to be part of it again.”

Thornton’s Fenway Grille will still have their all-day brunch, with the same laidback yet professional atmosphere as before, he said.

Instead of two divided rooms, the new restaurant will have one big room with an expanded bar area. The new polished patio is bigger than before and will be a great place to hang out and enjoy a Thornton’s favorite such as a dessert drink, Thornton said.

“All kinds of people have stopped by in the past six months asking if their favorite dish will return, and nearly everything on the menu has been mentioned because everyone has a different favorite,” Thornton said.
Boston University students said that they are excited for neighborhood renovations.

“It would be cool to go to the new restaurants before or after a game,” said Valerie Shahal, a College of Communication freshman. “I’ve never been to a professional game so it would be cool not only going to the game, but also having a whole fun experience.”

Other students are excited by the prospect of trying out new restaurants.

“I like food and I like the Red Sox, so I am excited,” said Jason Simches, a School of Management freshman.