City, News, Politics

O’Malley addresses ‘big picture issues’ in reelection campaign

Boston City Councilor Matt O’Malley, of West Roxbury and Jamaica Plain, said his dream has always been to serve his neighborhood through local government.

Originally from Roslindale, O’Malley now resides in Jamaica Plain, where he served as councilor for the past year. He is seeking reelection on Nov. 8.

His interest in local government stemmed from his first internship with former Councilor At-Large Peggy Davis-Mullen when he attended Boston Latin School, he said. He continued his work at the local level during his time at George Washington University.

“A number of my friends were chasing the elusive White House internships or working on the Hill,” O’Malley said. “Instead, I sent a cover letter and resume to council members for D.C. and worked for Jim Graham.”

Before joining the city council, O’Malley said he tried running for the At-Large position several times before suceeding in 2010. He ran in 2003 at the age of 23 and again in 2005.

“We had a good first showing and I made some great friends and learned a lot about the issues and the city and the people,” he said. “We came a lot closer in 2005, but it was still unsuccessful.”

In 2010, the seat for District 6 councilor opened up after Councilor John Tobin decided not to seek reelection. O’Malley ran in this special election and won a spot on the council on Nov. 16, 2010.

“It was either three times a charm or three strikes you’re out,” O’Malley said. “We put together a very strong, robust campaign that encapsulated every pocket and corner of the district and luckily had a big win.”

Running on a platform of three issues, O’Malley said he has focused on education, public safety and the local economy, as well as adopting the issue of the environment. He labeled these issues as well as job creation as the “big-picture issues.”

He said he has been working with the administration and teacher’s union to build longer school days in addition to ensuring public safety in Jamaica Plain by doing ride-alongs with their emergency medical service.

As chair of the Environment and Health Committee, O’Malley said the environment has also become a passion. His work has focused on the extension of hazardous waste drop-off in the city, and the proper disposal of prescription drugs.

“This unique position I’ve been given can affect real change and policy,” he said.

Business development is another important issue because Boston’s unemployment rate is lower than the state and national rates, O’Malley said. He said he wants to bring more long lasting businesses into the city.

“Small businesses are the incubator of any economy,” he said.

Beyond these big picture issues, O’Malley said he “wants to be the guy who gets a reputation to get things done such as the quality of life issues.”

He said he wants to focus on the constituent services of the council, such as filling potholes and fixing streetlights.

“Although they may not necessarily get in newspapers or on TV, it is these important issues that the council can help play a leadership role in and can most directly affect people’s quality of life,” he said.

O’Malley, who is running unopposed, said he and his colleagues have already set forth an ambitious agenda, which includes a hearing for an amber alert system for seniors who suffer from dementia and a proactive removal approach to snow jurisdiction.

“It is a dream job come true for me because I get to wake up every day to help work on the big picture problems as well as the smaller quality of life issues in my neighborhood and the neighborhood I grew up in,” O’Malley said.