Gallegos again the difference

For most athletes, making a consistent impact on the team’s record with a few standout moments here or there would be more than enough for a job well done and, in her eyes, a successful season.

However, senior forward Tiya Gallegos is not one of those types of players.

This tri-captain has been tearing up the field, especially since the midway point in the 2011 Boston University women’s soccer season, responding to BU coach Nancy Feldman’s request to be “more aggressive” as she described it after the team’s win over Binghamton University earlier in the month.

Since her first goal of the season against the University of Vermont back in September, Gallegos has earned a total of six goals, giving the current scoring leaders, senior midfielder Jessica Luscinski and sophomore midfielder Kylie Strom at seven goals each, a run for their money. Additionally, she has been credited with assisting her teammates with three other goals during the season.

Her most recent goal, a game-winner, came in Wednesday’s win against Dartmouth College. Gallegos scored the tally when sophomore midfielder Megan McGoldrick sent a cross to Gallegos five yards in front of the net. Gallegos picked up the pass and netted into the far side of the goal, giving the Terriers a 1-0 advantage.

Yet, despite all of this recent success on the field, this fifth-year BU athlete takes none of her accomplishments to stride.

When asked about her offensive improvements after the team’s win against Dartmouth, Gallegos divulged that she doesn’t see herself as the major component in the team’s continuing success. Rather, whenever asked about her performance, she always stresses how much teamwork the Terriers put forth.

“I think it’s a team effort,” said Gallegos. “We’ve been working on keeping the ball out of the back and connecting players and moving off the ball.”

Her modesty and character have not gone unnoticed by her fellow teammates and the coaching staff.

“She’s a real team player,” Feldman said after her pivotal goal against Binghamton. “So maybe it’s hard for Tiya to be selfish in those moments. It’s not really her personality, but it’s her job so I told her she had to do it.”

Gallegos first came to the Terriers for her freshman season in fall 2007. She played in seven games that year before obtaining a devastating injury that ended any chance of playing time. After being redshirted in 2008, Gallegos came back strong, playing in seventeen games with two goals on the season.

It was last season that Gallegos really began standing out both offensively and defensively. As a junior she scored eight goals throughout the season, more than her three previous totals combined. Named to the America East All-Conference second team, she started 21 games for the Terriers and scored the third most points, 19, of the 2010 team.

“She’s a terrific competitor,” said Feldman in the past. “She’s a great target player, she sacrifices her body [for the game].”

While she will sadly be leaving her beloved team upon graduating in the spring, Gallegos has much to look forward to in her last regular season game against Hartford on Sunday at Nickerson Field.

“My parents are coming…and it’s Senior Day,” Gallegos said of the upcoming game against the undefeated Hartford University Hawks. “That’s a lot to look forward to already. Not to mention playing soccer. It’s why we’re here.”