Students don scarlet, white for first Spirit Day

Boston University students show their BU pride wearing red and white at the men's hockey exhibition game against St. Francis Xavier University at Agganis Arena on Oct. 1. AMANDA SWINHART/DFP STAFF

We’ve got to take “some time to celebrate,” said Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore, quoting musical artist Madonna to explain Friday’s Scarlet Fever Spirit Day at Boston University.

In an invitation emailed to students, Elmore said that students should “rock (or wear) the colors tomorrow as part of your day’s ensemble.” Elmore wrote that he would sport his own scarlet and white apparel: Red Chuck Taylors.

In an interview, Elmore said Spirit Day is a good way to break the routine of daily life and to celebrate “who we are, what we’re about and what we can achieve.”

Throughout the day, Dean of Students staff members in the George Sherman Union passed out free prizes to those who sported BU apparel.

In the evening, Barnes and Noble hosted the Rhett-Hot/Scarlet Fever Undergrad Night, a “Terriers only” celebration with free food and appearances from BU athletic teams. Students received 25 to 75 percent off on all BU clothing, as well as a chance to win $500 in convenience points, tickets to sporting events on campus and a semester of free textbooks.

Chelsea Merget, a senior in the College of Communication, said that because BU is such a large school, the students sometimes seem to have a hard time garnering a sense of solidarity.

“Kids are proud to go to BU and are proud of what they are involved in, but aren’t really united as a whole easily, so I think BU is trying to move towards that,” Merget said.

COM freshman Quinn Rodriguez also said BU has a lack of school spirit because of the size of the community.

Rodriguez said that seeing students show love for their school makes college more fun.

“It shows unity and that we’re a part of something that’s not just ourselves, and with so many colleges in Boston, it’s important to represent,” Rodriguez said.

COM junior Rachel Blumberg said she thinks the Dean of Students office is trying to expand spirit normally exhibited at hockey games to everyday life.

“I feel like hockey games are the only time people really put all their BU gear on and get into the BU spirit,” she said.

COM freshman Rebecca Beyer said that she considers school pride an important aspect of the college experience.

“You’re going to be living here for four years, so you have to make the most of it and just have fun,” Beyer said. “I think that pride is most important for sporting events because you have to show your support for your team.”