Film & TV, The Muse

A very Harold and Kumar interview

Emerson graduate Todd Strauss-Schulson just directed his first feature film, A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas, in 3D.  Currently, the film is number three at the box office and has received positive reviews from critics.  I had the opportunity to sit in on a roundtable interview with Mr. Strauss-Schulson to discuss the movie and its success.

Muse: Was it your idea to make the film in 3D?

TSS: When I first heard “We’re thinking about doing this in 3D,” I thought, “Oh my god that’s such a gimmick, that’s so lame!” But then, I thought, “Oh my god that’s such a gimmick, holy sh#t this is amazing!” The idea of doing the world’s first stoner movie in 3D seemed like a once in a lifetime opportunity. Also it’s arguably the first narrative comedy to be shot in 3D.  I was watching a bunch of William Castle, director in the 50’s and 60’s who was this the showman of movies who did all these gimmicks to get the audience excited about it, so when I started to think about directing this movie, I realized it was as much about spectacle as it was about heart.  It feels like you’re strapped to a rocket.

Muse: Was working in 3D technically challenging?

TSS: The whole thing was technically challenging.  Before this, I had made shorts that were seven minutes or less in my apartment with a video camera.  This was overwhelming and incredible.  They always say 3D takes a long time to shoot, but I had nothing to compare it to, so it seemed fine to me! But a buddy of mine from Emerson ended up doing 80% of the effects for this movie.  A tremendous amount of Emerson grads helped make it, graduates from Emerson that moved out to Los Angeles and we all would work together. Everything that ended up on reel was because of the these collaborations.

Muse: The film had a classic Christmas aesthetic, but at the same time, there was gory and raunchy content. How were you able to balance the two?

TSS: For me, that was one of the things that got me so excited in the first place.  It’s a Trojan horse movie. The images are classy, elegant and rich looking. The score is huge and brassy. If you close your eyes, you think you’re watching a real Christmas movie.But inside of all of that stuff, is this R-rated, perverse and raunchy comedy. What I like about this franchise is that nothing is cynical.  These are nice guys who are good friends that just happen to be in an insane world where crazy stuff happens to them.

Muse: I noticed that the two bar tenders in one scene are in some of your shorts.  Are they old Emerson buddies?

TSS: They are! Those are my guys, Evan and Gareth! When I got to Emerson, all I wanted to do was make action movies like Michael Bay or John McTiernen.  When one of the kids from the comedy troupes (Gareth) asked me if I wanted to shoot some of their videos and I was said, “I’d love to!”  So I started making these comedy troupe videos like they were action movies.  That changed my life because I realized I had an ability with comedy.  Even now we’re collaborators.

Muse: How open was Neil Patrick Harris to his role? What was it like to work with him?

TSS: It’s been six years since the last movie. Neil’s public image has changed and he loves poking fun at that image. I think Jon and Hayden took him out for sushi even before I was apart of this and I think he loved it. When I showed up and got to work with him, there was not a barrier he did not want to explode.  And David (Neil’s real life partner) loved it!  I think they had a lot of fun being together in that scene.  The opportunity to do a 3D Busby Berkeley show-stopper with Neil Patrick Harris got me so excited. That’s when my mom came to visit the set.

Muse: Neil said, “See you in the 4th!” Do you think there’s going to be a 4th?

TSS: As a fan I wanna see a fourth movie and I’m sure John and Hayden have a thousand ideas.  I was suggesting A Very Harold and Kumar Passover, where they’re just looking for the afikoman all night long.  Or they have kids next time or they get older.  Maybe a grumpy old Harold and Kumar. I don’t know what’s going to happen; there are no plans right now.

If you want even more laughs check out some of Todd Strauss-Schulson’s short films such as Mano-a-Mano or Hardly Working.