Women’s basketball ready for Marist

The Boston University women’s basketball team will return home from a three game stint on the road to play Marist College at the Case Gym this Saturday, Dec. 10th, at 1 p.m.

BU is 1-2 in their past three games, falling to Harvard University and West Virginia University. They managed to rally a win against Yale University this past Wednesday night, making their season record 4-4.

This Saturday they will face off against Marist, who is coming into this game with a record of 4-2. The Red Foxes secured their third straight win last week when they defeated the University of Hartford 57-51. Senior guard Corielle Yarde led the offensive with a game-high of 19 points scored. Defensively, she also added three blocks and two steals. Although Hartford took a lead in the second half, Marist used a 6-0 run to jump ahead and hold onto the lead to win the game.

While two Terriers have celebrated reaching their 1,000-point milestone this season – most recently junior guard Chantell Alford in last weekend’s game against West Virginia – Yarde has also just hit that benchmark. With her first basket of the season against Villanova University on Nov. 16th, Yarde became the 18th player in Marist history to achieve that goal. She is also one three-pointer away from tying the fifth all-time record with 130 3-pointers.

The Terriers have had a tough run on the road, losing two out of the last three games. BU fell to Harvard last week 62-57, despite a combined 37 points from Alford and junior guard Mo Moran. They once again felt defeat when they lost 78-53 at West Virginia University this past weekend. Despite the loss, it was a milestone game for Alford where she netted a team-best 17 points, and reached the 1,000-point plateau – making her the 20th Terrier in history. This milestone comes just weeks after teammate Alex Young scored her 1,000th point. Although BU outshot West Virginia in the first half, BU fell in the second half and was unable to close the gap.

BU was finally able to rally a win this week, when they defeated Yale University 59-54, in New Haven, Conn. Senior forward Caroline Stewart scored her first double-double of the season, posting 14 points and 14 rebounds. Moran added 13 points while sophomore Guard Melissa Gallo scored a career high 12 points. The Terriers never trailed the game, although they were outshot 40-29 by the Bulldogs in the second half. BU took a 20-point lead early on in the second half, leading 38-18, but with a scoreless three minutes, the Bulldogs closed the gap within five, 52-47. Despite strong offensive efforts from Yale, The Terriers held onto their lead to secure the win.

In their last contest against Marist, the Terriers were defeated 71-55. It was a back and fourth game, with each team having the opportunity for long scoring runs. In the end, the Red Foxes had an 11-0 run giving them the opportunity to close in on a 16-point victory. For Marist’s head coach, Brian Giorgis, this victory marked his 200th collegiate win – making him the first in Marist history. Boston University now stands 3-4 against the Red Foxes leading into Saturday’s game.