City, News, Politics

Mass. legislature prepares gaming bill provisions in winter recess

State House lawmakers are beginning to look ahead at what next year will bring with impending budget talks and the implementation of the freshly minted casino legislation.

The Massachusetts Legislature has been in formal recess since passing a whirlwind of legislation before formal sessions ended for the year during the last week of November.

Gaming will continue to be a large issue for lawmakers as the three resort-style casinos and one slot parlor legalized in the November legislation become closer to reality.

State Legislators and Gov. Deval Patrick have the task of appointing the gaming commission, which will decide which casino bids are approved.

Besides gaming, writing the state’s budget will take up the rest of Beacon Hill’s time.

Legislators have said that healthcare and education will both be discussed as the state grapples with writing a budget in a sluggish economy with less federal support.

Although the Legislature has not met in formal session since November, Beacon Hill has not remained entirely quiet.

Speaker of the House Robert DeLeo filled December’s legislative lull at the State House with a political power play when he forced his majority whip to resign from his position this week.

DeLeo, a Democrat representing Winthrop, forced House Majority Whip Charley Murphy, of Burlington, to resign amidst rumors that Murphy was building political support to eventually take DeLeo’s position in the House.

Neither the House nor the Senate has decided when their first formal session will be, but both chambers are expected to begin meeting in early January.

Joint Committees will continue to come together, with the next meeting scheduled for Thursday.

The Joint Committee on Health Care Financing will hold a meeting then to discuss a public health insurance option, Medicare for all state residents and a single-payer health insurance trust fund.