Terriers out-fleet Red Foxes

The Boston University women’s basketball team defeated Marist College on Saturday 49-36, continuing its season-long hot streak at Case Gymnasium, the home court the Terriers (5-4) have yet to lose on this year.

RACHAEL CORTELLESSA/DFP FILE PHOTO Junior guard Mo Moran scored a game-high 16 points in BU's win over Marist

“This was a really big win for our program,” said Boston University women’s basketball head coach, Kelley Greenberg. “In the past we’ve played well defensively, we just weren’t able to score against them. I’m really proud of our players. We just played tough. I didn’t think we allowed too many second shot opportunities.”

Although the Terriers went without making any baskets for the first four-and-a-half minutes of the game, their strong offense outshot Marist (4-3) with a 32.3 percent field goal percentage in the first half. Marist went 5-of-26, ending the first half with 19.2 percent.

The leading scorers for BU were junior guard Mo Moran with a game-high 16 points, senior guard Alex Young with thirteen points, and junior guard Chantell Alford with seven points.

Senior forward Caroline Stewart grabbed 13 rebounds, followed by Alford’s nine. Sophomore forward Rashidat Agboola contributed offensively with near double-double of nine points and eight boards.

“Caroline and Rashidat both work very hard for us,” Greenberg said. “They can make as many as mistakes and I will never be disappointed in them because they work so hard.”

For the Red Foxes, guard/forward Kristina Danella led the offensive with twelve points – including 10 over the final 10 minutes of the game. Guard Corielle Yarde followed closely behind with nine points and 11 rebounds.

Although Marist opened the game strong with a 6-0 run, Alford sank the first points for the Terriers in the form of a 3-pointer from the top of the arc. Young followed with a basket to bring the Terriers within one. Thanks to Moran’s basket with 11:59 remaining, BU was on top with a 7-6 lead that it would not give up for the rest of the game.

Marist was able to close the gap momentarily, but four straight points from Moran enabled the Terriers to close the first half with a comfortable 26-10 lead.

BU took off in the second half with a 15-4 run, and Marist did not score their first field goal of the half until the 7:53 mark, when Danelle netted a short jumper to bring the score to 41-22. That field goal ended Marist’s 0-for-15 drought in the first 12 minutes of the half.

With 4:24 left, the Terriers led 45-29, but the Red Foxes were able to sink three shots from the charity stripe. Fortunately for BU, Marist was unable to close the large point gap, and Moran ended the game with a pair of free throws.

“This win is very important for players who have been here,” Greenberg said. “The last few years, Marist has been a nationally renowned team.”

BU ended the game with a 28.8 field goal percentage (17-of-59) while Marist completed 20.4 percent of its shots, going just 10-for-49.

This win for BU ends Marist’s three-game winning streak, while the Terriers remain 4-0 at home.

“We want to win at home,” Alford said. “Our fans are behind us, so it’s easier. We’re just playing our basketball here.”

The Terriers are not yet done this semester, though, as they will travel down the Green Line to Chestnut Hill on Tuesday to face Boston College.

“There’s a little bit of a rivalry [between us and BC] because the players know each other,” Greenberg said. “Hopefully, we’ll be well rested. I think we can and will knock them off.”