An Enduring Dream?

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. is often remembered for his vision of social justice, eloquently expressed in a pivotal speech that boomed into the hearts and minds of thousands. In sweltering heat, he confronted racial injustice with a passionate eloquence that resonated with many, and to this day is shared as a triumph of American progress. “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character,” he proclaimed to the American nation in the summer of 1963. At that moment in history, King was fighting for racial equality. Just under half a century later, we celebrate the messenger, yet we seem to place more emphasis on praising an idealized individual than perpetuating or heeding his message.

What this day signifies for many across the country is an opportunity to take advantage of slashes in appliance and car prices. Innocently perusing through channels, it’s hard to miss a blaring announcement from Sears appliances promising great fridges at unbeatable prices for its “MLK special.” Certainly a new level of consumerism seeking opportunity wherever it can be found. For a large majority of college students, it’s a blissful excuse to procrastinate classes’ commencement. Disenchanted and discontent with those in a position to give a rousing speech these days, we have become desensitized to lofty ideals of hope and idealism.

Certainly, the vice grip of racism that plagued American society has significantly loosened. Yet a society grounded on principles of unconditional morality and social justice is a far cry from our reality. Unfortunately, prevalent racial inequality has been replaced by disparity of wealth and opportunity, amplified by a trying economic climate. King’s pursuit of societal justice is by no means an aspiration we have achieved. Eradicating discrimination based on race will not solve discrimination based on means. We must not dwell solely on King’s eloquence, but on the principles he endorsed and how they apply to society today. He declared, “As we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead. We cannot turn back.” This year, instead of merely admiring King’s elocution, perhaps we will turn our attention to instigating social change with a little more substance.