STAFF EDIT: Remembering Paterno

For hundreds of fans from Penn State and beyond, Joe Paterno was lauded as the most successful coach in college football history. A man who’s career spanned 61 years, he was dedicated to improving his players’ performances on the field as well as in their academic pursuits. According to a Jan. 22 article published on CNN’s website, in 2011 he celebrated 409 victories, and his passion for Penn State and all it had given him was evident from his four million dollar contribution to the university. His distinctive appearance, namely his gaze through his large, thick glasses, cemented his place as a revered figure in major college football.

Nevertheless, those towering pillars of faith and reverence embodied by Joe Paterno’s fan base came crashing down amidst horrific scandal. When it was exposed that Paterno was knowledgeable of alleged sexual abuse taking place, he was consequently fired, his illustrious legacy tainted by a controversy that shocked the country. A tragic end to a career that had previously seen Joe Paterno named the winner of the National Football Foundation and College Football Hall of Fame Distinguished American Award in 1991.

Paterno’s ethos throughout his career was always to promote a well-rounded foundation of skills in his athletes. He was heaped with praise from many, including President Ronald Reagan, who admired Paterno for his role in training his students for football and life itself.

In a statement released by his family, they stated, “He has been many things in life – a soldier, scholar, mentor, coach, friend and father.” Perhaps only time will dictate whether scathing allegations amidst horrific circumstance will forever ravage Paterno’s legacy. One can be certain that his loyal fans will mourn his passing as a formidable coach and role model; nevertheless, a wider audience who only know him as a result of the scandal may not view his legacy in the same light.

Paterno decided against becoming a lawyer in the beginning of his career, maintaining that coaching was his passion. His father’s only response was, “Make an impact.” Evidently, his career statistics and testimonials from many indicate he did just that.