STAFF EDIT: Hostile housing?

The subject of housing and Boston University often draws conflict. Whines from disgruntled students who are unhappy with their rooming assignment, the disparity of quality between some dorms and general complaints when lottery numbers are released are recurring patterns, and have become integrated into student life and culture. In October 2011, according to an article published in The Daily Free Press in the same month, BU’s Student Union was encouraging of plans to establish gender-neutral housing on campus. The Student Union conducted a vote on whether to push the proposal further and the affirmative vote was unanimous. The organization was eager for the plans to be given further consideration, especially since many schools in the surrounding area have already implemented this policy in their housing plans.

The Daily Free Press revisited the story in November of 2011. Members of the Student Union were concerned time was running out for the proposal to be passed, and urgent advocacy was needed in order to help the cause. Alternatives to mass implementation were proposed; perhaps a trial house would be suitable for testing the waters. BU is an innovative campus; surely this policy would only further push BU to embrace progress. The idea aims to be in accordance with a guarantee to allow all students to feel comfortable in their housing situation, regardless of gender affiliation. Inevitably, there will be disagreement amongst some who believe that couples will use this alternative to live together, argue and consequently destroy their relationship and housing dynamic.

While this is a natural concern with the new initiative, college students are considered young adults, hopefully possessing sound judgment in how they choose to organize their own housing. Furthermore, friendships are constantly evolving and potentially at risk with the same decisions under similar circumstances. These choices being made are based on very similar criteria. The Daily Free Press published an article on the subject today, stating that while the proposal has been brought up at meetings once more, no concrete action has been taken. Skepticism will surely be rife as the student population waits to see if the proposal will yield an important victory for students being heard by the administration, or if it will be another instance of a proposal that was relegated to being tossed around behind closed doors.