STAFF EDIT: Hanging ‘Ob’-out

Google+, dubbed Facebook’s arch nemesis, emerged into the social networking scene gradually. It’s novel features seemed to provide a serious contender for Mark Zuckerberg’s market niche. Disappointingly, the anticipated online duel between the two internet heavyweights never materialized; instead Google+ was labelled an alternative far removed from the mainstream, relegated to the back of everyone’s minds.

Yet this Monday the website burst onto our radars once more. President Obama hosted a Google+ “hangout,” using the website’s distinctive video conferencing platform to communicate with American citizens. This is not the first instance President Obama has tried to incorporate technology for political posterity. According to a CNN article published on Monday, President Obama held a Facebook “town hall” from their headquarters in California, as well as a YouTube conference from the White House. One of the highlights of Obama’s original campaign was his use of social media to consolidate and further his presence in voters’ minds. Whether a similar approach will work again will remain unknown, at least for now.

One would assume that given such accessibility to the President, the questions posed to him would be worthy ones. Questions expected to be about the economic reform, political tension, and the future of America. Instead, Obama was requested to dance, say hello to young children and came face-to-face with an Obama impersonator. These more ‘human’ interactions certainly will be appreciated; a man with the world’s woes on his shoulders is mere mortal like the rest of us. Obama is clearly aiming to win the hearts and minds of the younger, technologically adept generations. Opportunities to reach out to voters on such a personal level cannot be wasted in an election year. However, as highlighted by the article, Obama was sure to emphasize he worked for his voters, not vice versa. “It makes our country stronger that you can make fun of the president – or anybody – and everybody can get a laugh . . . also makes sure to remind me that I work for you guys.”

It’s certainly refreshing to see a president trying to use social media to bring politics into a new age of communication. However, if he is to be taken seriously as an existing leader and a potentially re-elected one, he will have to bring substance to his attempts to relate to the average voter.