STAFF EDIT: Silence of the tweets

The limits of free speech will always vary from country to country; perception of human right to expression varies from culture to culture. Online censorship has been branded a serious danger to each individual’s right to free speech, and the debate continues upon the announcement of Twitter’s new censorship policy. According to a TIME article published on Monday, the new policy will enable Twitter to censor tweets by country. Therefore, Twitter accounts as well as tweets themselves could be visible in one country but concealed from others. The issue further unraveled as opinion was divided. The move has been endorsed by a state-controlled Chinese news publication, further drawing lines between those in favor of unbridled Internet freedom and others who disagree with that view.

One organization in particular, Reporters Without Borders, have expressed their discontent through a statement directed at Twitter’s executive chairman Jack Dorsey, claiming that by enforcing a restrictive policy, Twitter was a detriment to their cause. While Internet censorship is a problem that should not be ignored, we have to be wary not to exaggerate its progress. Before the policy, Twitter removing content from its website would affect all users; with this more streamlined policy, culturally insensitive material or offensive material can be removed where appropriate.

Whether this power will be abused or used effectively is probably the more pertinent question regarding the move. Twitter has promised to pursue a stance of transparency; material will not be taken offline lightly. As far as Twitter is concerned as a business venture, cooperating with country’s preferences is a smart move to prevent being censored as an entire website altogether. If the information sharing website had remained staunchly against reform, free speech, even if somewhat regulated, would have disappeared altogether.

For now, Twitter will remain a global phenomenon and we will still have uninhibited access to random strangers’ trivial observations and everyday lives, reduced to 140 characters or fewer. There is a distinction between oppressive Internet censorship, and adapting in accordance with different countries’ sovereignty and sensitivity – a distinction that will hopefully become more obvious as this story progresses.