Features

10 best Super Bowl ads from the last 5 years

By Yazhou Sun, In Business editor
Tonight’s Super Bowl XLVI will feature advertisements costing upwards of $2 million for 30 seconds. Here’s a
compilation of the 10 best ads from the last five years, including some you’ll see tonight.

This commercial is absolutely cuteness overload. See how a dog tries to slim down and chase a Volkswagen Beetle! The Star Wars at the end is a nice recap of last year’s commercial- “The force.”

2. The Force: 2011 Volkswagen Commercial

See a cute little kid trying to control everything in the house with supernatural power! Well in the end, Volkswagen Passat did him (or her?) a favor.  This commercial appeals to people’s nostalgia for childhood. And it appeals to people’s childhood nostalgia for “Star Wars.

1. Matthew’s Day Off- 2012 Honda CR-V Game Day Commercial

Honda enlisted actor Mathew Broderick for their Super Bowl commercial to promote the Honda CR-V. The Super Bowl ad pokes fun at Broderick’s Ferris Bueller character by showing him faking the flu to skip work and spend the day enjoying the sites around Los Angeles. This ad makes me want to watch “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” again.

1. Vampire Party -Audi 2012 Game Day Commercial

Find out what happens when an Audi S7 shows up at a party full of vampires. Edward Cullen probably wouldn’t be happy about this new car.

1. Transactions-2012 Acura NSX Big Game Ad

See Jerry Seinfeld bribing a guy with the last living munchkin; a dancing holographic monkey; a re-cap last week’s episode of Jersey Gang Lang with sock puppets; an alien; a new boat and access to his personal network of Manhattan zip-lines to get the first Acura NSX. Yet he failed.

6. Imported From Detroit-2011 Chrysler Eminem Super Bowl Commercial

“It’s the heaviest fires that make the hardest steel.” This emotion stirring commercial starring Eminem gives me chills every single time. It not only highlighted the beauty of Detroit, but also celebrated a city that was cruelly hit by recession.

1. Justin Bieber & Ozzy Osbourne-Best Buy Commercial 2011

Dressed in “Tron”-type clothing, Ozzy Osbourne appeared on a space set selling 4G services for Best Buy. In the end, he was replaced by Justin Bieber selling 6G services. “What’s a 6G?” “What’s a Bieber?” Flubbing his lines, it’s announced that a new face will replace the rock icon.

1. The Bark Side- 2012 Volkswagen Game Day Commercial Teaser

What else can I say? Dogs rule. A canine chorus barks a familiar tune. Volkswagen tried combining dogs and “Star Wars” to great viral success. This teaser ad has over 13 million views, even though it’s just hinting at the actual commercial that will air on game day. I cracked up when the greyhound strolled in.

1. Wine & Cheese Party-2008 Bud Light Super Bowl Commercial

This Ad brings to­geth­er four friends with in­ter­est­ing ways to dis­guise their beer in fake bread, cheese and hide a portable TV in­side a wine box in the kitchen while their wives sip wine in the liv­ing room. The guy who brought the six-​pack un­der a fake cheese wheel leaves the par­ty telling his wife, “I’m go­ing on a cheese run!”

1. Pug Attack-2011 Doritos Super Bowl Commercial Ad

Just like every other girl, I’m attracted to every commercial that has pets in it. See how a guy taunts his girlfriend’s pug with Doritos and gets run over by the pug, knocking down the front door.