Science Tuesday: Blast from the past

By Divya Shankar, Science Tuesday editor

Remember those days when instead of droll, monotonous lectures we watched exciting videos and learned songs to make subjects fun and interesting? From Bill Nye the Science Guy to the Magic School Bus, science was a fun and exciting adventure.  So here as a blast from the past are some of our favorite science shows and songs from back in the day.

1. Schoolhouse Rock-“Interplanet Janet”

Who doesn’t miss the days of Schoolhouse Rock?  I sure do.  From “Conjunction Junction” to “The Preamble,” there isn’t a song I don’t love. “Interplanet Janet” is no exception. So take a trip with Interplanet Janet and explore the planets of our solar system—and yes, our favorite no-longer-a-planet Pluto is included!

1. Bill Nye the Science Guy-“Bill’s Got Boat”

Bill Nye the Science Guy was definitely my favorite scientist as a child. Okay, who am I kidding—he still is my favorite scientist. So do you remember that towards the end of every episode, Bill would be interrupted by a random music video featuring some very cool kids. Well, what I never knew until today was that these were actually parodies of actual songs. Can you place this one? That’s right it’s a parody of “Baby Got Back” by Sir Mix-A-Lot. Who knew?

3.  The Magic School Bus

Okay, maybe I’m the only one but as a kid I not only watched the Magic School Bus TV Shows, but I read the books and even played the CD-ROM computer game (perhaps that explains why I’m such a science nerd today…). Nevertheless, doesn’t hearing this theme song make you want to take a trip with Miss Frizzle, too?

4.  Hannah Montana-“The Bone Dance”

So this wasn’t exactly our childhood and Miley Cyrus is undeniably one of Disney’s most annoying creations, but I would be lying if I said the seventh grade me didn’t watch the entire first season of Hannah Montana…and knew all the songs as well. One of my favorites—“The Bone Dance” even came in handy during my anatomy class last semester.

5.  Bill Nye the Science Guy-“Let’s Talk about Stress”

I couldn’t help it—one more Bill Nye. Can you guess which song this one parodies? Yup, it’s Salt-N-Pepa’s “Let’s Talk About Sex”—another winner from our early days of education (health class anyone?) if you ask me.