Basketball, NCAA, Sports

Terriers go for 11th straight win against Maine

On Wednesday night, the Boston University women’s basketball team will visit the University of Maine in a conference rematch as the Terriers attempt to sweep the Black Bears and extend their winning streak to 11 games.

Junior guard Mo Morgan dribbles by the University of New Hampshire defense. JACKIE ROBERTSON/DFP STAFF

The Terriers are riding the 11th-longest win streak in NCAA Division-I play, and the longest in the America East Conference. A victory Wednesday night would mark the second longest conference-opening winning streak in team history.

The 2008-2009 team, who went 16-0 in conference play, holds the current record.

In its most recent contest, BU (17-6, 10-0 America East) defeated Binghamton University 62-49 as junior guard Mo Moran led the team with 19 points.

The Terriers outplayed their conference opponents in almost every way, shooting 42.3 percent (22-of-52) to their opponents 35.0 percent (21-of-60).

BU also came out on top in the battle of the boards by a narrow margin of 40-37. This advantage in rebounds was especially significant as the Terriers have struggled all season to recover the ball.

Moran was named America East Player of the Game as the Terriers continued their successful play against conference opponents.

Unlike BU, Maine (6-17, 3-7 America East) has struggled lately in conference play, and the Black Bears sit near the bottom in seventh place in the America East standings.

In their last game on Feb. 4, the Black Bears fell to the University of Maryland-Baltimore College in a 66-44 loss.

Despite hanging close for much of the first half, Maine ultimately fell as they allowed UMBC to go on an 11-0 run that put the Retrievers firmly in the lead.

Forward Samantha Baranowski was the Black Bears’ leading scorer with nine points and a career-high 14 rebounds. Meanwhile, guards Brittany Williams and Courtney Anderson, each of whom scored eight points, were the team’s second highest scorers.

The Black Bears average 53.4 points per game with a 37.9 field goal percentage. These numbers do not compare favorably to the Terriers’ stats, especially in conference play.

BU averages 64.8 ppg in conference play, outscoring its opponents by 16.7 ppg. The Terriers have also held league opponents to an average of 48.1 ppg.

This scoring ability was on full display the last time the Terriers faced Maine, a 75-34 BU win on Jan. 11.

In that game, nine different players put points on the board for the Terriers, with senior forward Alex Young accounting for 22 total points and a career-high six 3-pointers.

Chantell Alford, who was named America East Player of the Week for the third time on Monday, scored 13 points to assist Young in BU’s victory.

BU turned 24 Maine turnovers into 35 points and out-rebounded the Black Bears 40-33. This combination of strong offensive and defensive play contributed significantly to the Terrier’s wide margin of victory.

Now, nearly a month later, BU will look to do the same when it tips off in Orono, Maine at 7 p.m.