BU alum tells students to follow passions, regardless of degree

Eric W. Becker, BU Law Alumni and current Vice President and Corporate Communications for Starz Entertainment and Starz Media, eagerly discusses his legal career after attending Boston University School of Law with current law students Wednesday afternoon. Sarah Anolik/DFP Staff

Contrary to what his law degree might suggest, Boston University alumnus Eric Becker said law school “wasn’t for me.”

“A lot of the perceptions that I had of what law school and what practicing law would be like didn’t marry up with what my youthful expectations were,” he said to a group of 13 students. “It was a frustrating time for me.”

Becker, the vice president of corporate communication at Starz Entertainment and Starz Media, met with students in the School of Law building on Wednesday to offer career advice.

Drawing from his own experiences, Becker told law students they could apply their degree in any industry they want to enter.

“I was able to get a job working for the Denver Nuggets basketball team,” he said. “I was arguably the most overqualified ticket salesperson they ever had.”

The 1992 graduate recounted how his work for the Nuggets led him to a position at Starz. He joined a public relations firm that included non-practicing lawyers and went to one of the sister companies to head public relations and investor relations.

“That helped me immensely with my PR career,” he said.

His experience in public relations led him to join Starz in 1999.

Becker told students to “learn their craft” and gain experience in their preferred fields to launch their careers.

“Do whatever it takes, be at an internship . . . just to get real, hands-on experience,” Becker said. “It’s critical, especially when you get to the cable television industry and the entertainment industry, which is a high-desired sector to get into.”

While Becker can’t see himself pursuing a law degree all over again, he said his experiences helped shape his career.

“Would I have gone to law school and done it all over again if I could go back? The answer’s probably no, I wouldn’t have,” Becker said. “With that said, I did go to law school . . . If you make a decision in life, you take all the positives you possibly can out of something and you turn it into the best.”

Students called Becker’s advice eye-opening.

“He did a good job illuminating opportunities for us,” said second-year law student Brandon Greene. “He gave a good inclination of things you can do . . . outside of the law.”

A number of students said finding a career path that interests them can be difficult.

“I have a really similar background to him,” said Lauren Appel, a second-year law student. “I haven’t found an area that’s really inspired me yet . . . [Becker’s advice] was really helpful to hear.”

Since Becker has more experience in the communication field than in law, he spoke to students pursuing those fields as well.

“I think it’s a great field, and it’s more important than ever for companies to have effective communication,” he said.