SSW alum, social work pioneer dies at 87

Many colleagues and members at Boston University School of Social Work called alumna Golda Edinburg a leading figure in the field of social work. Edinburg, 87, died of natural causes Thursday in Florida.

Edinburg, who earned a master’s degree in social work from SSW in 1946, became known for her efforts to improve the quality of life for the mentally ill and their families, according to an SSW press release published Feb. 10. She developed the role of social work in hospital programs at McLean Hospital in Belmont, which later served as the model that jumpstarted a number of similar programs throughout the country.

“She was tremendously dedicated and compassionate,” said Ken Schulman, associate dean of SSW, in a phone interview. “She was not just a pioneer, but she remains an icon in social work.”

Schulman met Edinburg in his work in alumni relations. In the 20 years he knew Edinburg, Schulman said he knew her as someone with a “wonderful sense of profession” who led students and colleagues throughout her career.

Edinburg joined McLean in 1956, becoming one of the first social workers, said SSW spokeswoman Cecilia Hughes. She held her post as director of social work until her retirement in 1993. The alumna not only developed social work programs, but also co-authored a number of articles on developing them within a hospital.

Edinburg also volunteered in Waltham, serving on the Department of Mental Health and Retardation Area Board for 15 years. She helped secure federal funding to establish The Center for Mental Health and Rehabilitation Services, Inc., a community health center with locations in Lexington and Waltham.

As a board member, Edinburg held presidential and vice presidential roles until 1986. The Center was renamed The Edinburg Center in 2002 in commemoration of Edinburg.

Edinburg also worked as a psychiatric social worker in the Bedford VA Medical Center, a senior case worker in Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and a supervisor of psychiatric social work in Chelsea’s U.S. Naval Hospital, according to the release. She also served on the Governor’s Blue Ribbon Commission, the National Association of Social Workers and the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill.

SSW Dean Gail Steketee said she was in awe of Edinburg when she met her 25 years ago.

“It was so clear that people respected her and tried hard to meet her high standards,” Steketee said in an email interview.

Steketee recently reconnected with Edinburg, whom she described as an illustrious alumna, an outspoken woman and a strong supporter of SSW.

“I truly enjoyed dining with her . . . talking about the many people she knew, some of the early struggles to establish the social work profession in medical and mental health care and her many outside interests in her retirement years,” she said. “She was truly a remarkable woman.”

The family is planning a memorial service, but no date is set, Hughes said.