Opinion

STAFF EDIT: Picking Apple

Apple has always prided itself on being unconventional. Their products are hailed as unique, their business practices are perceived as quirky and original. Yet again, Apple is setting a precedent for change in allowing an organization independent of their own company to investigate their factories in China. According to an article published in The New York Times yesterday, the Fair Labor Association has begun its investigation into labor practices, specifically looking for any violations of appropriate labor conditions. One factory in particular, Foxconn City in China has been under review for an extended period of time.

This transition to increased transparency is definitely beneficial to Apple’s reputation. The condition of factories in China has been a consistent issue for companies who have outsourced to the East for cheaper labor costs. Apple is definitely secretive about other aspects of its business practices, particularly product development and marketing strategy. A shift to more accessible labor information will be welcomed by many in the industry and other audiences. Whether this transparency will translate to other companies following suit is debatable. Many manufacturers have shifted large portions of their business to factories in China. However, inadequate safety precautions and inhospitable working environments ago unnoticed by each company’s main headquarters, many based outside of China.

Apple has been publishing audits on their working conditions annually since 2007. The information has consistently been vague; any discrepancies were brushed aside and never mentioned again. Now, this mass investigation will not take a general stance on the issue, but they will report their findings from factory to factory. A separation between Apple’s biased investigation and an independent organization’s findings will allow the results to be taken seriously. Nevertheless, it would be naïve to assume this inquiry would yield complete transparency. Despite a third party getting involved, no one can be certain the whole truth will emerge. In theory, factories are supposed to allow the Fair Labor Association to fully inspect their facility. Whether this will be put into practice is debatable at best. While this breakthrough will be pivotal to improving workers’ environments, it remains to be seen if this is a measure solely undertaken by Apple or if it will galvanize industry as we know it.