City

Another Kennedy in public office?

By Megan Allison, Daily Free Press Staff Writer

Joseph Kennedy III, grandson of Robert F. Kennedy, announced his plan to run for the fourth Congressional District Seat in his campaign video released on Thursday, possibly continuing a line of Kennedys in both state and national politics.

Kennedy started at the district attorney office last September and worked through January, officials at the Middlesex District Attorney’s office said. He tried two trials during his time there.

In his campaign video, Kennedy said he would also fight for an education system that better prepares students and fair tax code and housing policies.

“I’ve spoken to people from across Massachusetts who believe that Washington no longer works for them,” Kennedy said in his video.

With the people, Kennedy said he would fight for a fair tax code that does not require the middle class to fund tax breaks for the rich.

“You can always count on me to fight for small businesses, seniors, veterans and for you, to make sure you get the constituent service you’ve come to expect,” Kennedy said.

Kennedy also said, “Together, we’ll fight for a fair jobs plan that puts people back to work by rebuilding our infrastructure, creating a 21st-century energy economy and financing innovations that will stimulate job growth.”

Kennedy formed an exploratory committee in January, quit his position at the Middlesex District Attorney’s office and moved from Cambridge to Brookline, included in the redrawn fourth district.

Critics, however, said they are skeptical of Kennedy’s experience.

Kennedy counteracts such criticism in his video by listing his other experience as an assistant district attorney, a volunteer in a legal aide clinic, the co-founder of an afterschool program and a Peace Corps volunteer.

He said founding an afterschool clinic helped him realize the hard work of teachers and the drive of students hoping to succeed.

His Peace Corps project helped people in the Dominican Republic create a new business, Kennedy said. This business, “rewarded people for their back-breaking work every day,” he said.

But Kennedy said taking the position currently filled by Congressman Barney Frank would be a large step.

“Congressman Frank has done so much for Massachusetts and America during his service in Congress and he leaves very big shoes to fill,” Kennedy said.

Although Kennedy lacks experience, he said he has grown up around politics.

“My family has had the great privilege of serving Massachusetts before,” Kennedy said. “They taught me that public service is an honor given in trust and that trust must be earned each an every day. That’s what I intend to do.”