‘99 Nights with the 99 Percent’ author discusses Occupy’s future

It is “remarkable” the Occupy movement had not happened sooner, journalist and author Chris Faraone said Monday night during the signing of his book, “99 Nights with the 99 Percent.”

Faraone introduced his new book to an audience of about 50 people in the basement of Brookline Booksmith.

Attendees listened as Faraone spoke about his book and read an excerpt from the introduction. He also read his own “occupaikus” and answered questions from the audience.

“Chris is an amazing writer for the Boston Phoenix and we welcome him here to talk about his book as it really describes the Occupy movement in a way that gets in-depth,” said Evan Perriello, the Brookline Booksmith events director. “He offers an interesting perspective.”

Faraone discussed various topics after the reading, including the future of Occupy, its influences in Europe, its influence on the upcoming election and the fate of the economy.

“The brand Occupy sprung up recently, but the outrage has been simmering for years,” Faraone said. “It’s remarkable that this hadn’t happened sooner. The economic meltdown really kicked off. We’re four years into this.”

Faraone also spoke of his transition from writing about music to writing about the Occupy Movement. He said hip-hop music really spurred his interest in social justice and the music he listened to fueled his writing.

Nancy Friedrichs, who lives in Maynard, came with her friend Shirley Farmer.

Friedrichs said her daughter was very involved with the Occupy movement.

“She keeps me informed and involved,” she said. “She helped with a lot of organizing and is now working with smaller towns. She’s set up a democracy group in Acton.”

Farmer, who is from Hudson said she and Friedrichs are both interested in the same political issues the Occupy movement addresses.

“It’s just amazing to see a movement like this,” Farmer said. “I’ve never seen anything like it in my time.”

Phillip Theise said he came to see Faraone because he cares about Occupy.

“I went to the New School in New York, where I think Chris went to for a semester,” Theise said, “and I thought Chris would be interesting to listen to, as I am interested in music and journalism as well.”

Theise said he thought it was really neat to follow how Faraone’s passion through music stimulated him to write about social justice.

“I really believe that if you have the energy and curiosity it can find motivation to make change in the world,” Theise said.

Still, not all of the people in the audience identified as Occupy protesters.

Lisa Bolduc said while she is not an occupier, she could sympathize with many of their complaints.

“In order for the country to move forward, we need greater regulation of Wall Street and a voice to be given back to middle class America,” Bolduc said. “I would like to see politicians supporting tax breaks for the low to middle classes. Chris’s book is a good read for anyone looking to better understand the 99 percent.”