STAFF EDIT: Super Tuesday

There has been no shortage of scathing exchanges, surprising twists and heightened drama in the Republican race that will decide the party’s presidential candidate. At this stage of the primaries, four potential victors are still battling for votes. Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, Ron Paul and Newt Gingrich have all reportedly spent millions on advertisements, as well as participated in widely publicized debates. As Super Tuesday commences, the decisions of ten states will bring the American public a step closer to deciding who will run against President Barack Obama. The strong surge of “super PACs” and the monetary support they provide has perpetuated this race, fueling uncertainty and schisms in the party.

Georgia, Idaho, Massachusetts, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia and Alaska will be the battlegrounds. According to an article in The New York Times published yesterday, Santorum and Romney consider Ohio especially critical. Romney, who will remain a strong favorite to win Massachusetts, will probably rely on his moderate conservatism to draw in a wider net of voters; however, his inconsistency between his conservative values before, during and after the nomination race will raise questions about his proposed policies.

Nevertheless, while the fervor surrounding the potential nominees has remained intense, overall this enduring race has spawned a wider anti-Republican sentiment throughout the nation. According to a study conducted by MSNBC and The New York Times published yesterday, only one in 10 adults have a more positive view of the Republican Party as a result of the race.

Romney will likely find an obstacle with the independent vote. Ron Paul has enjoyed a renewed success with his Libertarian platform, which may add to the increasing identity crisis the Republicans are currently struggling to reconcile. If this race has indicated anything, it is that a cohesive idea of who the Republicans want to pit against President Obama does not exist. While the results of Super Tuesday may indicate a more concrete idea of who could fulfill the role, it would be premature to assume these results will provide a conclusion to this ever-changing political contest.