Senior class gift picks up more donors

The Boston University Senior Class Gift campaign received more than twice as many donors it had in March 2011, committee members said.

“We’re actually way of ahead of where we were last year,” said Allie Rowe, student philanthropy programs manager, in a phone interview. “There are high hopes that this will be a successful year.”

More than 500 donors have contributed to the fund, slightly above 25 percent of the Class Gift Committee’s 2012 goal.

Lauren Pyes, co-chair of student relations for the committee, said in a phone interview members have focused on communicating with the Student Union executive board and student group leaders. Members worked on informing student leaders of the donation process and how they can donate to their club.

“Senior members who donate class gifts can actually designate their donation to their club,” Pyes, a College of Communication senior, said.

Although the Class Gift Committee is reaching out to all student groups, Pyes said the Committee has begun to focus on Greek Life.

“We really wanted to let the Greek life know that senior members have a chance to really grow the influence of Greek life on campus,” Pyes said. “Getting them involved especially is just a way to not only benefit their organizations but to make sure that they can continue to do the good work that they’ve been doing in the past.”

Committee members are also promoting donations through a Twitter campaign, including a program called “Class Gift Swag.”

College of Arts and Sciences senior Rachel Paul, a member of the committee, said the program works as a scavenger hunt on Twitter.

“We have a gigantic red gift box . . . and we’re hiding it different places on campus, taking a picture and tweeting it out, so that people will see it and whoever finds the box first will get to turn it in and get some class gift swag,” she said.

The committee started Class Gift Swag to help increase its Twitter followers, said Chelsea Merget, one of the committee members in charge of the Class Gift Swag program.

“Even if [Twitter is] just a resource for people to reach out to if they have questions about donating, where they can donate, what’s the link, can they pay with credit cards, it’s just another way for people to reach out if they have questions,” Merget said.

Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences senior Fernando Limbo, the committee chair, said members encourage students to donate the amount of their class year, $20.12, but any donation is accepted.

“Students can donate a dollar, and students can donate up to as much money as they see fit,” Limbo said. “Our goal is to get as much participation as possible, so it’s not the monetary amount that we’re going off. It’s in terms of sheer numbers.”

Rowe said students can donate any amount to be entered into the Red Sox ceremonial first pitch raffle, and they can also honor a mentor if they donate $20.12. The mentor would receive a thank you note and a small gift.

“What we’re trying to encourage is a sense of ownership and philanthropy amongst student groups,” Limbo said. “It doesn’t matter how much you give, but it’s that you are giving back.”

Pyes said donating to the class gift supports places on campus that have influenced a senior’s time at BU.

“[It is] really a chance to give back to the places on campus that have made their experience a good one,” she said. “It is also a way to maximize . . . the education that they’ve paid for, to support the university and to support their classmates.”