NCAA, Softball, Sports

Softball aims to continue three-game win streak against Bryant

The Boston University softball team won’t get much rest this week, as only two days after a packed spring break it will take on Bryant University on Wednesday afternoon as it attempts to continue a three-game winning streak.

Sophomore Jayme Mask leads the Terriers with a .349 batting average and six stolen bases. DFP FILE PHOTO

After a successful road trip during which the Terriers (14-8) went 9-4, they move to face off against opponents much closer to home as they travel to Rhode Island for Wednesday’s contest.

“I think [spring break] prepared us,” said BU coach Shawn Rychcik. “It helps to get as many games under our belt as we can. We’re 22 games better now than we were when we started.”

While their successful trip to Florida over spring break was filled with top-tier competition, the Terriers’ Wednesday opponent has struggled to start the season. Standing at 4-12, Bryant suffered a 10-0 loss to Coastal Carolina University at The Game Tournament in Florida. BU defeated Coastal Carolina 7-1 at the same tournament over spring break.

“Bryant, they were right down there with us at the big tournament,” Rychcik said. “So they’ve been down on break too.”

It may be too early in the season to determine who the standout of the Terrier offense will be this year, but one thing is certain – the 1-2-3 hitters for BU have done their respective jobs all season.

Leadoff hitter sophomore Jayme Mask leads the team with a .349 batting average and six stolen bases, continuing her history as an effective offensive player for the Terriers. After redshirting for a year, Mask finished her first full season with the Terriers second on the team in batting (.357 average) and stolen bases (25).

In both fields she was second to former Terrier centerfielder April Setterlund.

Number-two hitter sophomore Chelsea O’Connor has also had offensive success, hitting .307. Earlier in the season Rychcik said he wants his number-two hitter to bat like a number-three hitter, a role O’Connor has filled thus far.

Sophomore Megan Volpano rounds off the first three hitters with a .315 batting average.

Also adding to the Terriers’ offensive production is sophomore catcher Amy Ekart, whose 16 RBIs are a team-high.

According to Rychcik, so far this season BU’s pitching has been a strong point. Until the past week, sophomore pitcher Holli Floetker was the only BU pitcher with a victory. After break she has a 10-2 record and a team-best 2.03 ERA. Floetker also leads the team with 61 strikeouts.

Sophomore pitcher Whitney Tuthill is solidifying her position as the team’s number-two pitcher. Her 3-3 record and 2.19 ERA have made her a solid option behind Floetker.

Meanwhile, junior Erin Schuppert also picked up her first and only win of the season over spring break. Schuppert currently holds a 1-3 record with a 4.91 ERA.

“I’d like to see our pitching continue to be strong,” Rychcik said. “We’ve had some really good outings. The pitchers are throwing well, all three of them.”

Rychcik has stressed repeatedly that he thinks one of the team’s biggest areas for improvement is its defense. With a .972 fielding percentage, the Terriers’ defense has narrowly outplayed their opponents, who currently stand with a .965 fielding percentage.

As the week progresses, the Terriers will play their first home game of the season against Boston College on Thursday as they begin to move closer to conference play. The Terriers split the season series with the Eagles last year, winning the first game 10-9 and losing the second 10-3.

Rychcik said, “Hopefully getting back [to Boston], taking some batting practice, having a day of practice will get us on track.”