Campus, Ice Hockey, News, Sports

Nicastro appears in court, receives extension for probable cause hearing

Former Boston University men’s hockey player Max Nicastro received a postponement for his probable cause hearing when he appeared in Brighton District Court Monday morning.

Nicastro is expected to appear in court for his rescheduled hearing on May 7 at 9 a.m., Judge David Donnelly said at the hearing.

Suffolk District Attorney spokesman Jake Wark said Monday’s scheduled probable cause hearing was not at a suitable time for either party.

“The only development arising out of the hearing was the rescheduling,” Wark said. “Neither party was going to be able to make the most of today’s court date . . . It was simply a rescheduling issue.”

Hugh Curran, Nicastro’s attorney, declined to comment on specific reasons for rescheduling, but confirmed it was a mutual decision between him and the prosecuting attorney, Assistant District Attorney Gloriann Moroney.

Moroney could not be reached at press time.

Nicastro, who arrived at court with his mother, stood before the judge briefly while Curran spoke.

The former Metropolitan College junior and hockey defenseman faces two counts of rape stemming from a Feb. 19 incident, according to an article published by The Daily Free Press. He was kicked off the hockey team shortly after his arrest and remains unenrolled at BU while his case continues through the court process.

The police report from Feb. 19 remains impounded by the court and will not be released due to the sensitive nature of the case, clerk officials said.

If found guilty, Nicastro could face up to 20 years in state prison.

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound defenseman blocked 35 shots in the 27 games he played this season, registering three goals and six assists in the process. Throughout his entire BU hockey career, Nicastro registered 11 goals and 22 assists.