STAFF EDIT: Teaching technology

In a world that is concerned with technological advancement, computer usage has increased dramatically. We use them in educational and professional settings, and we have now integrated them into our lives to such an extent that we can’t imagine life without them. Now, in order to meet this demand for computer proficiency, some colleges are demanding that students be required to take a computer class. Amidst other classes such as writing, history and social sciences that are often required for certain programs, there has been increased support for a computer science class to become part of the core classes students must take in order to graduate.

According to an article published in The New York Times on Monday, the variety of computer science classes at colleges is significant. Some classes require students to immediately delve into complicated programming material, while others are more theoretical in their approach. Of course, having a computer science requirement independent of any other would have to accommodate students who are averse to taking courses filled with technical jargon and complicated material.

Many of the members of our generation are already at a superior level of familiarity with computers in comparison to our parents and grandparents. And for most jobs, at least in the foreseeable future, having extensive knowledge of computer programming and encoding websites can be reserved for those who are majoring in math and computer science. Unfortunately, pushing a challenging computer course on students who know they will not succeed could be viewed as a waste. Students will be frustrated with their academic performance, especially if they know taking such a challenging class – one they have limited interest in – is required. If we want to educate the young generation on computer proficiency, we could probably implement this at high schools.

Of course, if the classes that are made mandatory manage to gage the skill level and aptitude of these non-major students and tailor the course to their needs, the new rule can be a success. However, if this initiative is poorly executed without taking into consideration students’ needs, the effort will ultimately collapse and the departments involved would have to re-evaluate its effectiveness.