City

Students accept T hikes, don’t expect habit change

Despite the recent fare increase, a number of Boston University students said it would not affect them too much. They will think twice, however, before taking unnecessary rides.

BU students should see ride costs rise from $1.70 to $2 for Charlie Card holders starting July 1, according to the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority website.

The MBTA is increasing fares and cutting some services in hopes of reducing its $185 million budget gap for fiscal year 2012, according to the MBTA website.

While College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Sloane Williams called the fare increase annoying, she said there are not many other options.

“It’s not like I’m going to take a cab everywhere,” Williams said. “I’m just going to have to suck it up.”

As a result, Williams said she will avoid shopping and going out to dinner as often if the T rides become too costly.

Teuta Bakalli, a CAS sophomore, said this is a big deal for students in Boston, especially since there is no student discount.

“It’s a big deal for my friends that live in West or off campus and need to take the T to get to class or downtown to go shopping and out to eat,” Bakalli said.

Sinan Eren, a College of Engineering freshman, said the MBTA should keep in mind that Boston is a city full of college students. Nevertheless, Eren said he would still buy his monthly pass because he needs the T to get around Boston.

Though many students said they would not stop using the T because of the increase, they noted they are unsure of the effects of the fare hike.

“I think this is just going to lead to more people sneaking on for free,” said Beth Brodsky, a College of Communication sophomore.

Michael Simpson, a sophomore in Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, said the MBTA should raise prices since they need to decrease the deficit.

“Whatever they do is a balancing act between what would piss people off less,” Simpson said. “Commuters will grumble for a while, but then get on anyways.”