Red Sox games hold record for costliest baseball tickets in country

Two fans buy tickets for Tuesday night's Red Sox game at Fenway Park. Rachel Pearson/DFP Staff

In the Hub, attending the Boston Ballet or the Boston Symphony Orchestra is cheaper than going to a Red Sox game.

Red Sox tickets are the most expensive tickets in baseball, said Chris Matcovich, director of Data and Communications at TipIQ.com, a ticket aggregating company that analyzes ticket prices and trends, according to TIME Moneyland.

An average home game in Fenway Park costs about $151.10, he said, noting the data comes from analyses of ticket listings from secondary markets.

Red Sox tickets’ prices are so high, he said, because of the 100-year-old stadium in which the team plays.

“A lot of that [price] has to do with stadium size. . . . The seating is much [greater] in Yankees stadium and many other stadiums – that’s part of the reason,” he said.

In addition to playing in a comparatively small stadium, he said, the Red Sox do not have competition within New England.

“Some cities or areas can have baseball teams that are closer in proximity,” Matcovich said. “For instance . . . in New York . . . we have the Mets and the Yankees, and that kind of drove down prices a bit in terms of fans or people having to choose their fandom one way or the other.”

Red Sox season ticket holder Michael Kinney, 41, said ticket prices might drop in the future.

“Unfortunately [ticket prices are high] because of the size of the ballpark,” he said. “Within the next five years they are going to have to build a new one. It will be tough to see Fenway go away, but we need a new ballpark. A bigger stadium means cheaper tickets.”

Despite that speculation, there are no known plans for the Red Sox to build a new home.

Prices for secondary-market tickets change based on demand for tickets, with prices climbing to about $305.58 for Opening Day tickets last Friday, according to TiqIQ.com.

But “Opening Day is definitely worth it,” said Dana Reite, 41, as he was leaving the game.

Kinney said the ticket price is worth it “depending on what team is on the field.”

In 2004 and 2007, fans were more willing to pay higher prices – but the Red Sox’ performance in the 2011 season did not justify that same cost.

Even though he is a season ticket holder, Tim Morgan, 38, said he was not happy with the Red Sox last year because of the team’s management and performance.

No matter the Sox’ performance, Kinney said it was a shame that ticket prices were so high.

“It deters a lot people, families and college students,” he said. “A decent ticket is priced out of a normal range for students and families.”

But Matcovich said prices will not go down any time soon.

“It’s like a commodity. . . . If that’s what you have and that’s what you can get for it, it ends up being the price,” he said. “If people are willing to pay that – and they obviously are – they are going to continue to price tickets that way.”