City, National, News, Politics

Warren accepts Brown’s debate challenges, agrees to four televised debates

On the heels of her opponent’s acceptance of three public debates over the past two days, Democratic Senate nominee Elizabeth Warren accepted U.S. Sen. Scott Brown’s offer, and her campaign has announced that she will participate in four televised events.

Brown has accepted three debate offers, all of which the Warren campaign had not responded to until the announcement on Tuesday, according to a press release on the Brown campaign’s website.

The debates would mark the first time the candidates will confront each other. Warren has the support of the Massachusetts Democratic Party after becoming the presumptive Democratic candidate in the Massachusetts Senate race, according to the official Massachusetts Democratic Party website.

She garnered the endorsement with almost 96 percent of the vote at the start of the state’s Democratic Party convention on Saturday in Springfield.

Brown congratulated Warren on the endorsement and suggested she join him in a debate on Sunday, according to a statement.

“I have already accepted an invitation to debate from radio host Dan Rea of WBZ-AM in Boston,” Brown said. “I look forward to meeting Professor Warren there for our first debate of the campaign.”

Over the past two days, Brown has accepted debate and forum offers from 96.9 FM Boston Talks and WBZ, according to a press release.

“Elections are fundamentally about differences on policy issues, and voters deserve to know where their candidates stand,” Brown said. “That’s why I am pleased to accept this TV debate offer so that Massachusetts voters will be able to see these differences for themselves.”

Further details have not been released, and neither campaign was available to comment in time for publication.

Warren challenged Brown at the convention and later issued a statement approving of Brown’s acceptance of her challenge.

“I am glad Scott Brown has accepted my challenge to debate,” Warren said in the statement. “My campaign has received a number of requests from all over the commonwealth, and we will be reaching out to the Brown campaign to discuss debates.”

Today, Warren agreed to four televised debates against her opponent, one on WBZ-TV and another in Springfield, according to a press release.

A Suffolk University  poll released on Saturday shows that candidates are nearly tied in the Senate race.

Brown took the lead with 48 percent of participants saying they would vote for him. Warren follows the incumbent senator by one percent.

Forty-two percent of the people surveyed said Brown was running a better campaign, while 23 percent said Warren was running a better campaign and 35 percent were undecided.

Both candidates continue to keep busy with campaign events and plan to attend the Dorchester Day Parade on Sunday.