UPDATED: BU students face fines, charges in court for AEPi hazing

This story was updated June 28.

Two Boston University students accepted responsibility Wednesday for charges from the hazing incident at the unaffiliated Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity on April 9 and one student was arraigned for charges for the same incident, officials said.

Four other cases remain open as the students’ role in the alleged hazing incident is determined, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel Conley said in a press release.

Seven BU students were scheduled in court Wednesday before Judge Patricia Bernstein on charges related to the alleged hazing incident, District Attorney spokesman Jake Wark said in the release.

Police responded to a call about a house in Allston on April 9 and found five BU students in their underwear covered with condiments and other substances.

The alleged hazing incident led to the unaffiliated fraternity, which was not recognized by BU, losing national recognition as charges were filed against the 14 students involved.

Two recent BU graduates, Robert Rappa, 22, of the School of Management and Justin Katz, 22, of the College of Arts and Sciences, admitted their responsibility to civil charges stemming from the incident and accepted their sentences, according to the press release.

Rappa, who was charged with hazing and failure to report hazing, will pay $400 in court costs and perform 40 hours of community service. Rappa allegedly told the victims to go to the Ashford Street basement “to become one with [their] brothers.” Boston Police found him in the building when they arrived on the scene that night.

Katz, who was charged with failure to report hazing, will pay $200 in court costs, according to the press release.

Both Rappa and Katz originally faced criminal charges but they were dropped to civil charges, Wark said.

Officers from the Boston Police Department reportedly found Katz with Rappa on the scene, but further investigation revealed Katz was not present at the time of the abuse, according to the release.

Graduate Kyle Shevrin, 21, of the College of Communication, failed to appear in court Wednesday for his arraignment, according to the release.

Bernstein put his arrest warrant on hold until August 20 because he was out of state and claimed he could not appear for arraignment.

Boston police found Shevrin attempting to escape out the front door in a deliberate attempt to evade officers, Wark said in the release.

Jesse Kay, 20, an SMG junior, was arraigned Wednesday on one count each of hazing and failure to report hazing.

He faces five counts of assault and battery for each of the pledges he allegedly hazed on the night of April 9, the release stated.

Kay was released on his own recognizance and will return to court on August 20 with his attorney, David Losier.

Another recent graduate, Spencer Davidson, 22, of the School of Hospitality Administration, faces the same charges as Kay but was already arraigned on June 20.

He will return to court with his attorney, Anthony Rossi, according to the release.

Kay and Davidson are both accused of ordering the duct-taped bound victims to disrobe, ordering them to drink fish oil and tightening their bonds as they poured hot chili sauce on their skin causing welts, according to the release.

These charges of assault and battery carry a maximum penalty of two and a half years in a house of correction.

Hazing carries a maximum penalty of one year in a house of correction with a possible fine up to $3,000. Charges of failure to report hazing could lead to a maximum fine of $1,000.

Michael Sanieoff, 22, a BU junior and College of General Studies graduate, who lived at the Ashford Street house, was arraigned on charges of keeping a disorderly house on May 18. He will return to court July 5.

Three other defendants, two 22-year-old Brookline men and a 19-year-old Allston man, had their cases postponed while authorities continue to investigate their roles in the incident, Wark said in the release.