Campus, City

Red, white and what should I do?

By Gina Curreri
@ginacurreri

It’s fast approaching. The one day you can wear cutoff shorts and an American flag T-shirt without looking like your white trash neighbor growing up: Fourth of July! It’s time to celebrate Amurrka even though we’re not sure why.

Boston’s got a pretty good Independence Day gig, especially for broke college kids. This year’s is on a Wednesday, so it’s recommended you take it easy and save your High Life (for the Americana cans, obviously) drinking for the weekend. Here are some ways you can revel in good ol’ U.S.A. fun this year:

– If chowder is your thing, Sunday, July 1 is the 31st annual Chowderfest, one of the many events part of Harborfest. Summer in New England is defined by chowder, lobster and other sea critters you can eat. And hey, what else are you going to do for $12 on a Sunday? All of New England’s “finest restaurants” will be at City Hall Plaza, according to the press release. You should be, too.

– History buffs: It’s the War of 1812 bicentennial. On Thursday at 12 p.m., the Charlestown Navy Yard reenacts a full sequence of a naval drill run near the USS Constitution. Tour the Old North Church for a mere $5 or the USCGC Eagle almost any day next week. On the Fourth, take part in a turn-around voyage on the USS Constitution from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p,m., where she’ll fire a 21-cannon salute. Reservations required.

– Head to the Hatch Shell! Granted, it’s always packed full with families, but hearing the Boston Pops live is something you should do at least once during your stint in Boston. It’s free, and their Fourth of July performance comes in at a close second to their holiday shows. Downside: They’re playing alongside Dropkick Murphys, who apparently need to take over every holiday, not just St. Patty’s Day. Still, it’s guaranteed to be a good show.

– See the fireworks. I know, you’ve seen fireworks a million times, but it’s tradition. Boston has some of the best. Some of us are lucky enough to have a roof deck in the Back Bay and Beacon Hill area. First, stop bragging about it. But secondly, watch the fireworks from up there, and keep it a secret or 100 people will want to join you. A lot of people head to the BU Bridge and the bridge on Mass. Ave. Across the river on Memorial Drive is an even better bet and less crowded.

If holidays aren’t your thing, or if Halloween’s the only one you dig, Davis Square’s Monster Masquerade is Sunday, July 1 at RADIO. Go dressed up as a monster. (Is that what kids do these days?)

And if you’re not one to head out to the city at all, shame on you. Celebrate alone on your couch. That’s fine. Just at least pop in “Top Gun” or “Air Force One” or something.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNgt7U9QrFQ]